Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homespun Patterns

Gentlemen,

What are your opinions as to the quality and historical accuracy of the Homespun Patterns? In particular their civilian drawers, trowsers, sack coat and Confederate Frock coat??
    Thanks
    [FONT=Georgia][FONT=Georgia]Very Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerkin
    Rah Virginia Mil '11
    Tar Water Mess-GHTI
    VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Re: Homespun Patterns

Charlie,

I'll jump in first here. Though some of the patterns list where the original is, I'd take it with a grain of salt. I purhased both the civ vest pattern and the "military style" vest pattern a few years ago. You should hold them side by side. The pieces are identical. Only difference is you fold the upper lapel fo one over. So much for pulled from two different original specimens.

I've made both and they go together ok. Have someone who acutally knows how to make welt pockets show that process to you, the directions are almost useless. Contact me off list if you need help on that.

Be careful if you a of a larger size (and I'm only talking a 44 here) especially with the frock. I tried to make the JR. Officier's frock about that time and had to take it to a seamstress friend of mine. She was so mortified at the way the pattern was graded (blown up in size) that she pulled a pattern she has yet to release that she pulled off an original and graded it up for me so she wouldn't have to deal with the HP mistakes.

Guess I'm saying they're a mixed bag at best in my experience. Still use some, but always looking for better patterns. If you have someone who knows garment making and can help, let me suggest Charlie Child's patterns. His patterns are good, the directions are sometimes written assuming you know lots about sewing.

Good luck, and contact me if I can be of assistance.

Will
    Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
    Saginaw City Light Infantry
    Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
    Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
    http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gerkin
      Gentlemen,

What are your opinions as to the quality and historical accuracy of the Homespun Patterns? In particular their civilian drawers, trowsers, sack coat and Confederate Frock coat??
      Thanks
      Ditto on the warning about sources. Maybe they copied their supposed source, maybe it's just close. hard to say. I have used their civilian shirt pattern (back when they were Great American Pattern Emporium), and my wife has used their Confederate Sack coat pattern in several sizes.

The shirt is allegedly copied from somethng a prisoner at Andersonville made from a shelter tent, using unravelled thread from the canvas to sew. No idea if that's true or not, but the shirt does have correct early 19th century features such as square cut with underarm gussets, neck gussets on the shoulders, etc. I found the shirt to make up without too much trouble. The variant with pockets has them inset, with the opening on an angle.

The sack coat was a different story though. The pattern was difficult to use, since many of the pieces didn't fit together without modification and even then the garment didn't fit well. The sleeves in particular had to have major modifications. In fact, the only way I got sleeves that were comfortable was to get out one of my R.L. Shep reprints and draft them myself.

Bottom line, they are better than some, worse than others. Can be used to construct a decent garment if you have some knowledge of what you want and some patience with poor directions.
      Bruce Hoover
      Palmetto Living History Assoc.

Comment

I am currently finishing handsewing a pair of the drawers for my husband. Direction wise, they may require rereading the instructions a couple of times to make sense for some (they are far better instructions however than some of Period Impressions patterns, definitely better drafted). As far as putting them together, they went together quite well.

Kimberly Schwatka
        Kimberly Schwatka
        Independent Mess

Comment

Working...
        X