Civilian Haversack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Haversack

Howdy All, I have a question about haversacks. I'm about to start hand sewing a civilian brought from home haversack. I'm going to make it from canvas and have a button in pillow tick liner. My question is: would it be correct to just fold it flat and sew it flat or sew in a "V" shaped gusset? I've seen many on sutlers row that were flat but not many with a gusset. Thank you all for any help it's much appreciated.
    Eric Armour
    Shepherdsville, Kentucky
    eric armour

Re: Civilian Haversack

Eric, Welcome to the A/C. First, are you talking about folding theright sides together and sewing a seam, or putting the wrong sides together andsewing a visible seam with the raw edges showing? Second, if you are using sutler rowhaversacks for patterns you may want to reevaluate this whole project. There are plenty of originals out there thatcan be used as examples.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I suggest you get a kit from Wambaugh and White (an approved vendor) and start from there. They give you the material, thread button and most importantly instructions. That was my first sewing project and it turn out fine. I now have many shirts and jackets under my belt, with many more to come. :)
      Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

Eric, You are fine to make it either way, as both are documented styles. However I would recommend making one with a gusset because it will be able to hold more rations and mess equipment. I recently had to upgrade to a gusset style because I could only fit about 1 days rations in my flat style haversack. I provided images of original haversacks of both styles for a reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 11.49.07 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	640.8 KB
ID:	223754 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 11.43.01 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	223755
        Lewis M Robinson Jr
        Armory Guards
        Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

eric- i think it's called a box pleat. i had an origional CS or civilian haversack that was made just like you are describing, more roomy esp at the bottom .iirc it was about the size of a Moses Alexander haversack , closed with 3 bone buttons and made of a checked material. i donated it years ago to the Atlanta History Center collection.BTW it had remnants of tarred material used in the flap and strap.
          Douglas"Bones" Jarrett
          armory guards
          Doug "Bones" Jarrett

Comment

Thank you fellas, I appreciate the help!!
            Eric Armour
            Shepherdsville Ky
            eric armour

Comment

Working...
            X