Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a greatcoat........What are your thoughts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a greatcoat........What are your thoughts?

Hello all,

I am looking for a Federal infantry greatcoat and would like everyone's imput. I have used the search on this site and went through the approved vender list. I have found several that I like, however I cannot afford them. The problem I have is my size. Being a stout 6-5 and wearing a size 52 jacket, it pushes the price of a high quality greatcoat to $500 or more. I know you get what you pay for, but I cannot afford to pay that for a coat. It will be used at some events, but mainly it will be used for Living History displays, school programs and as a second blanket.

That said I am looking at the Fall Cr..k economy coat (19oz), Milk Cr..k Merch. coat (20oz), and possibly the one offered by Blockade Ru..ner although it looks flimsy. Are there any thoughts as to which would be the lesser of the mainstream evils? Any suggestions or recommendations for other coats by either mainstream or progressive venders? Btw, I can rework button holes, new lining, etc to make it appear more authentic.

Thanks for any help,
    Hunter DeBruhl
    25th NCT/ 14th IA
    Carolina Legion
    Member, Civil War Trust

Re: Looking for a greatcoat........What are your thoughts?

Hunter,

I have had, or have handled, all of those mainstream sutler's greatcoats. Not worth the effort nor the money. Besides being non-authentic they do little to keep you warm.

Winter is ending and your need for one right now is lessening. As summer comes there will be, I am sure, some used good quality and authentic correct examples will come on the market. If not, save your money for the best and you will not regret it. I saved my pennies for a whole year to buy my CJ Daley made English Import Overcoat. It is the least used piece of uniforming I own, one of the more expensive purchases, but everytime I use it, because I need it, I do not regret the price I paid for it. If you buy quality in most cases you'll keep it throughout your re-enacting advocation.

Jim Lemon

Comment

Re: Looking for a greatcoat........What are your thoughts?

Hallo!

Mainstream or less, or so-called "Sutler Row" quality kit and vendors, are outside of the scope and mission of the AC, and have no place here.

So, I will have to shut this one down.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
      X