county cloth confederate kersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• county cloth confederate kersey

Can anyone shed some light on County Cloth Confederate kersey fabric. Would the KM kersey be more appropriate than the K1 kersey for English blue/grey army cloth for the RDII jackets?
    Last edited by northernreb; 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM.
    John DeCaro

Re: county cloth confederate kersey

John,
    As far as the quality goes for these fabrics they are some of the best in my humble opinion. Based on my own observation of serving artifacts, I would go with the BG kersey if available.

George Taggart

Sorry, but please clarify the County Cloth individual you were referring to. The cloth I have mentioned comes from CRChilds County Cloth.
    Last edited by lwtaggart; 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM.
    George Taggart

Comment

George, Yes that is CRChilds county cloth B/G kersey. Which one would be more correct for the color. Thanks
      Last edited by northernreb; 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM.
      John DeCaro

Comment

John,
        I have Charlie's early K1 on a type 2. Over time it has faded to look very close to some artifacts. Early this year I picked up a Richmond trouser kit in his new K1. In places not so faded inside the jacket his new K1 is spot on! Personally I would go with the K1.

Hope that helps.
        George Taggart
        George Taggart

Comment

I have a Type II from his newer run of K1 and I think it compares very favorably. I also have a sample of Wambaugh and White's current B/G cloth run for the Chickamauga event and it is great as well.

Weldon Svoboda

Comment

One of my pards just contacted him directly this afternoon to ask about the difference between the K1 and KM...Charlie said the "M" in KM stands for "mistake"...it is K1 that got darker than it was intended
            Jeff Nichols
            Valley Light Horse

Comment

I appreciate all the input. Thanks
              John DeCaro

Comment

I'll bet the KM darker shade would make a nice type III or Tait jacket.

George Taggart
                George Taggart

Comment

Guys,
                  I recently recieved some of Charlie's K1 Kersey and the only thing I can say it's "friggin" awesome. It is very heavy weight and just beautiful. I emailed him last night to ask about the KM Kersey and his responce was "The ‘KM’ is a piece of #K1 that was overdyed (it’s blue)." He also has the K2CS (Confederate Sky Blue) back in stock. If I weren't already "up to my ears" in fabric for projects that I have yet to start, I would get some of that as well. Before ordering any fabric it is always wise to order a swatches from him and judge for yourself. Originally the "English Cloth" used in CS production, Tait Jackets, etc varied some in color, weave, and finish. I have had the chance to look at three pieces at the Maryland Historical Society and they were each slightly but noticeably different.
                  Dick Milstead
                  Hardaway's Alabama Battery
                  Baltimore Light Artillery
                  The Company of Military Historians
                  Richard Milstead

Comment

I have a pair of CS trousers made from K2CS, and I cannot say enough good stuff about that cloth.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                    X