Drinkable water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drinkable water

I've had amoebic dysentery twice during my world in the developing world.

It's not fun. At first, you're afraid you're going to die. Then you're afraid you're not going to die.

The only treatment that worked was the anti-parasitic Metronidazole (Flagyl), and even that took two courses of treatment.

I've never gotten sick from an event, not even the week long ones where we used iodine tablets, and I'm the proverbial canary in a coal mine for GI tract bugs.
    Robert Carter
    69th NYSV, Co. A
    justrobnj@gmail.com
    www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob
      I've never gotten sick from an event, not even the week long ones where we used iodine tablets, and I'm the proverbial canary in a coal mine for GI tract bugs.
      How come it took you this long to figure out why you get invited to back country events, Rob?
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Nah's its Rob's Shakespeare that gets him on the A list!

Every one of my prominent CW soldier ancestors (those not killed in battle) were eventually mustered out for chronic dysentery. It finally killed the last one in 1917. Death by piles does not sound fun. The troops could not see the germs that were making them sick, but they filtered the bad stuff out best they could.
        Last edited by DougCooper; 06-11-2013, 01:14 AM. Reason: English, what a concept
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

And don't forget about the need to water all the draught animals and cavalry horses. Hopefully, they were watered downstream.
          James Brenner

Comment

Hallo!

Welcome back to the AC, Oberst Jim.

I have no documented proof for it, but I think some of the problems arise from humans watching animals' choices of where to get a drink- lakes, rivers, streams, runs, swamps, stagnant ponds, rain puddles, gutter water, toilets... with seeming no ill effects.

:)
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X