Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research

I am new to the hobby of reenacting, this is my second year in the hobby. I portray a Federal Private in the Western Theatre. I really want to improve my impression to the best of my abilities and to do that I have begun reading several books on the Infantryman in the Civil War. The books I have now are 'The Civil War Infantryman' by Gregory A. Coco, 'The Life of Billy Yank: The Common Soldier of the Union' by Bell Irvin Wiley, 'Corporal Si Klegg' by Wilbur F. Hinman, and 'Hardtack & Coffee' by John D. Billings. What other books would be a good account of the life of the common soldier in the Civil War?

-Todd Oberkfell

Re: Research

Todd,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. The question you are asking has a huge number of answers - too many for someone to sit here and list. The books you have listed are a good start but there are many more. I would suggest using the search function up top and typing in some specifics you want to know about. All of this has been discussed many, many times and the posts are archived for new folks to search and find. Try that and then come back with some specific questions. I think you'll find a lot of answers searching and gleaning the collective knowlege of people on this forum by doing that instead of posting very broad requests.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Todd, sending you a PM.
      Mark Krausz
      William L. Campbell
      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
      Old Northwest Volunteers
      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Here are some books to get you started:

Soldiering; Rice Bull

Diary of a Deadman; Ira Petit

Gone For a Soldier; Alfred Bellard

Story of a Common Soldier; Leander Stillwell

Hard Marching Everyday; Wilbur Fisk

Si Klegg, and Hard Tack and Coffee as you know are excellent reads.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
        X