Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research 105 Membership Question?

Hallo Kameraden!

I was going to post a thread on using surviving CW artifacts and relics in museums, public and private collections, reference books, etc., etc., for historical and cultural inferences about life in the CW Past and what that can mean for our collective knowledge "hinge point," clothing, gear, and activities...

But, I am looking for input, suggestions, ideas first- as to condense thigns down can be hard.
    Particulary when it comes to varied needs and applications such as, but not limited to:

1. Vendors and makers wanting to correctly reproduce goods based upon proper raw materials, patterns, forms, and period manufacturing technology.
    2. Reenactors/Living Historians wanting to use historically accurate and period--corect clothing and gear in histoircally accurate activities.
    3. Researchers and historians wanting to make discoveries about specific units at specific times and places during the War, for both knowledge or publication.
    4. Combinations of the above.

Etc., etc, etc.

What would YOU like to see (in a 100 words or less... ;-) )

Any requests, ideas, wants, help, or direction- would be appreciated.

Danke, Kameraden!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Re: Research 105 Membership Question?

Herr Schmidt,

Each of the ideas is of interest and can be interrelated.

1. Learning how, from what, and in what manner things were made is fascinating. The CRRC has great detailed descriptions of the final goods, but I want to know how they got there and how to replicate them. (The more I learn, the more I find I need to learn.)

2. Once fabricated, the next step is to use things properly in appropriate activities and context. How is that best accomplished with specific items?

3. My questions arise from an interest in how the people lived in connection with objects. Is there a formula or sequence for researching a specific person, relative, or unit? These questions are very elementary, but beginning with the official records and digging deeper, how does one research:

Who?
    What were the names and former occupations? What happened to each individual during and following the War? Were commendations or pensions received?

Where?
    Where did they muster in and where were they stationed throughout the War. Where did they fight and where did they garrison? Under what conditions? What role was played by individuals or the unit in specific battles?

What?
    (back to #1) What were they issued, and when? What did they procure themselves? What did they eat, wear, groom, and with what did they work and play? What did they read? Are transcripts of their letters available?

Each answer raises more questions, but this is well over the requested word count.

Thank you for asking,

Comment

Working...
    X