Weapons for Buglers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons for Buglers

Did buglers carry weapons? Were they issued side arms, rifles, or swords?

Al McGalliard
    Last edited by JimKindred; 05-26-2013, 08:53 PM.
    Al McGalliard
    Gray, GA

Re: Weapons for Buglers

Hallo!

Infantry or cavalry? Bandsman or line?

In brief, and to over generalize...

IMHO, the expressed "ideal" is the 1865 QM photo study:

Period images show a variety, and it can be hard or impossible to ascertain intent or what is the bugler's and what is a photographer's martial prop. Meaning, there are image sof buglers holding a bugle for their sitting but also have a "naked" revolver in hand or stuck under their belt or even between coat or jacket buttons. Or are posing with a musician's sword, and no waistbelt of any kind. Plus the issue of studio versus camp versus field images.

I have a personal bias or opinion, that while a bandsman may not need, to use the modern term, a "personal defense weapon," a front line bugler would likely benefit from one at times.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Seems to me this was discussed recently on another forum : http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...d-self-defense but I could be mistaken.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

by the time a bugler would need a weapon, there'd be plenty lying around.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm learning how to search the forums better now.
          Al McGalliard
          Gray, GA

Comment

Al,
            A great reference you may wish to take a look at is by Dennis M. Keesee, "Too Young To Die, Boy Soldiers of the Union Army 1861-1865". It is filled with images of young field musicians and there histories with the Union Army. As mentioned, some images shown with weapons probably served as props. Great question!

George Taggart
            George Taggart

Comment

There is a specific reference large green Berdan's Sharpshooters history of a bugler carrying his rifle with him. Of course the amount of time spent skirmishing may have made this a wise choice. I'm at work right now, but I can get the specific reference when I get home.

v/r

EDIT:
              Last edited by Jboring; 06-03-2013, 07:34 PM. Reason: Posting Citation
              Jeremiah Boring
              Co. B, 1st USSS

Comment

This kind of topic is a good one, I think, since it falls into that 'ideal/actual' category. In my research study for Perryville where I was the SgtMaj for a Federal regiment, I had the option of carrying a rifle or a pistol and sword. The regulations of the time provided no guidance on what was ACTUALLY carried on the field, so I had to do some reading. Many SgtsMaj preferred to carry a rifle in order to be like their fellow enlisted man, but many also carried the NCO sword/pistol combo and wore their sash. So, I'd imagine ths is like it is with a musician: you had what regs said they could carry, but actuality might be different on the pragmatic side. My advice: research (1st person accounts), think what givens your unit might be under (supply situation, garrison, hard campaign etc.) and what might be available and leverage from there.
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                X