X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Sutler John US Blanket

Good Morning All,

Not to disparage the fine memory of Old Sutler John (he was a VERY nice fellow and equally helpful to those who needed it, myself included) but I was recently going through my US gear and came across one of his US blankets that I got from him back in '99. Can anyone provide some input as the quality/authenticity of it (ideally I'd like to upgrade it to a US blanket from S&S (as well as my shelter half from Jarnagin to a Type IIa (early war)) but don't have the $$$ right now).

Thanks and have a great day!

Sincerely,
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Old Sutler John US Blanket

Could you post a photo? It is probably an older Woolrich.
    David H. Thomas
    Starr's NC Battery
    Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Or keep an eye out for a Charles Childs blanket.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	River Rat Mess-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	223841

David,

Here is a photo of me using it in a blanket roll at an event in 2006...picture is b/w and sort of blurry. Hopefully this helps.
        Robert F. Wallace
        38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
        North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hallo!

The Gold Standard for clothing and kit should be how well does a reproduction compare to original items in terms of Period raw materials, Patterns patterns, forms, or models, and Period methods of construction or manufacture.

In brief and to over generalize... so-called "mainstream" or "sutler row" sutlers rarely, if ever, score high marks.

On the Sliding Scale of Imperfection....it is AC policy not to discuss the "useability" of so-called "mainstream sutler row" offerings as being "okay" or "good enough" to use when there are other makers and vendors offering items that come closer to the Gold Standard.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

And with Curt's comments this thread is closed.
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
            X