Modern CW Brogans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern CW Brogans

Would anyone know who make brogans with modern amenities? Such as stiffiners so the arch doesn't sag... I would like a pair of authentic brogans but with bad feet need a brogan that will support like modern made shoes...
    Any ideas??
    Thanks, Joe, 15th Conn Vol. infantry[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Best Regards
    Joe Niezelski
    15th CVI

Re: Modern CW Brogans

If they were made with modern enhancements then they wouldn't be authentic. I think your only option is to slip some insoles or orthotics into them. I've done that a few times in the past because I have planter fasciitis.
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Talk with the people you are dealing with and tell them what you would need for the shoes. I'm sure they would work with you.
      ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

I need a much higher arch support in the left foot due to plantar fasciitis, and found that glueing extra layers of leather under the arch solves the problem. I do the same with rubber in modern shoes. As both posters have noted above, there's no such thing as an authentic brogan with modern amenities, but if you don't want to mess with them yourself, a vendor might be able to make a custom alteration that would at least be a common-sense one for the period using period materials.

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@gmail.com
        Hank Trent

Comment

Joe, if the shoes are made authentic there should be a shank between sole and insole which supports the arch. I usually use beechwood shanks. Do you have any special features you need?
          Jan H.Berger
          Hornist

German Mess
          http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Howdy Jan,
            I had a pair years ago and they were not comfortable or supported the arch of my foot...
            As long as they look authentic on the outside and comfortable it works for me...You can use titanium shanks if I can't see them and it makes the shoe better..
            Do you make these yourself or have them imported?? When you hit a certain age you just have to make exceptions to the rules to be comfortable and safe... Hard to hit the X ring when your feet hurt...
            Thanks, Josef
            Best Regards
            Joe Niezelski
            15th CVI

Comment

Joe,
              Jan makes his brogans himself and does a splendid job! I have a pair and they are the best-fitting I have owned and I have some oddball-wide feet.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Yes you have John!:)
                Joe, I make the shoes myself , the shanks are available from shoemaker supply here in Germany. Most of the customers told me they just splipped in the shoes and off they went. Very few had to break them in with the risk of a blister. Perhaps your brogans did not have shanks but they belong in the shoes as described.
                Jan H.Berger
                Hornist

German Mess
                http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Working...
                X