This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a gray area.

Repop mustard and pepper bottles based on some found on the USS Cairo are available from Jamestown Glasshouse : http://www.eparks.com/store/search.a...=Repro1Bottles Price is $13. When it breaks, buy another without guilt that you just destroyed something from the 1800's. I've had a couple of them. I purchase corks from brewer supply stores. I generally put vinegar in them.

Vinegar has many uses including being an okay mosquito repellant.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: Authentic Enough Gray Areas????

Here are some original pots for sale that would be suitable for storing sunscreen. https://sites.google.com/site/ointmentpots/for-sale
      I am not sure about the dates of those listed on that page but IIRC the one pictured below is from the mid 1850's. Maybe someone else could jump in here and provide a more accurate date.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HO23 Family Universal Ointment Strand London.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	223842
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. After looking through several venders...Carter and Jasper actually offers bottles with period labels...I may email them and see what they have/suggest. Several vendors have several options and of course the famous ebay and amazon.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I'm very new to the hobby, but I've ordered a couple of small, porcelain pots to keep some sunblock in during events. As for bug spray, I hadn't considered the possibility of something heavy-duty from Cabela's, but that's a good thought. I didn't bother at my first event, which was about a week ago, and I'm now covered in bites. Not a huge issue, but in retrospect, I'm probably lucky I didn't wind up infested with ticks after running around in the woods. Also, isn't there insect repellant that comes as a cream? If so, you could keep that in a period pot or jar or something.

The bug bites I'm sort of willing to put up with in the name of authenticity, but the sunblock thing is really nonnegotiable for me.

- Allison Jones

Comment

Contact users may also find single-use snap vials of saline with the contact supplies in large discount stores. They're less than half the size of a little finger and are sterile. Since they're plastic, you'll need to conceal them properly and use them in private or in the designated 2013 zone.
            Other medications that come in tiny, single-use packets concealable in period containers: sunscreen (towelettes, so return them to the period container after use), Neosporin, bee and wasp sting pain treatment (lidocaine or benzocaine, generally in tiny glass ampules) and many over the counter medications for allergies, stomach hyperacidity etc. I agree with "health trumps authenticity" but when I'm around an event I stash any packaging back into the container that carried it, be that a poke sack or small pocket tin.
            Becky Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Becky Morgan View Post
              I agree with "health trumps authenticity" but when I'm around an event I stash any packaging back into the container that carried it, be that a poke sack or small pocket tin.
              I agree! That's what I really started the thread for. I want to make sure the "period container" is as realistic as possible for a soldier in the field. I like the single vial idea!! I carry saline in an old eye visine container. And keep the lenses in a plastic container. Both concealed in an as small as possible cotton bag all inside of a candle box with a mirror and candle inside. The tin box protects it and if I use the candle box I just stick the small bag in my pocket.
              Sunscreen presents a problem because of the possible reaction to a tin container. But I plan to try the small glass bottle idea presented in this thread.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

You could also have period-correct repro glasses made in your prescription or just do without, which was period as well.

Not trying to be a butthead, but...

Please Note:

Discussion has been good, but I think this is getting a bit 'played-out'. Modern medicines/sundries are fine in a discrete period-looking container. No host of an event will hate on you for bringing health/welfare modern items if it is done discretely. I use a small chipwood box for modern OTC meds in the field with a period label and bring a little extra for others that might need the help. Bottom line: DON'T take chances with your health in the name of "authenticity". Salmonela, dysentery, etc. are NO FUN in real life OR the re-created 1860s world.

Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                X