Gun Shalack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Shalack

In reading over the daily reports made by Col. Hill at the Tyler, Texas Ordnance Works I found that his report of April 15th 1864 to the Chief or Ordnance in Shreveport mentions something unusual, to me anyway. The end of his entry reads: "I also need gun shalack". Has anyone else come across records for shellacking of gun stocks during the war? Given the almost perpetual lack of proper materials at the Tyler works it certainly does not seem too out of the ordinary. I also know Col. Hill to means shellac as he puts emphasis in the difference between "shalack" and linseed oil in his reports.

Updated:
    In searching over the forum with the correct spelling shellac I found one previous post detailing ordnance stores on hand at the Charleston Arsenal, April 4th 1863. The report states “345lbs Gun Shellac” and farther down the list “300 Gum Shellac” Perhaps the latter is a misspelling, gum v. gun? It is my thought that shellac for weapon stocks was considered an ersatz item when linseed oil was not readily available and therefore not widely used.

Thanks in advance,
    David Russ
    Last edited by Corn'federate62; 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM. Reason: Updated information found
    David Russ

Re: Gun Shalack

I also know that they did treat the browned barrels of the Mississippi rifles with a protective coating. I believe it was shellac.
    John Dunn

Comment

Working...
    X