Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodyear Rubber Button Source

Hello all,

Yes, I have used the search feature, but most of the posts dealing with this subject are pretty old. Blockade Runner lists three different types of "Goodyear" or "hard rubber" buttons on their webpage. The description to one of these - the 7/8 inch variety - specifically states they are made from hard rubber, not plastic.

Now, my question is this: does anyone have any experience with these particular buttons? I understand that at least some of the "Goodyear" buttons sold by BR are actually plastic, and I am assuming that their "USN buttons," and possibly their 1851 5/8 inch button, fall into this category. But are the 7/8 inch buttons plastic, too, or actually hard rubber as advertised? And if they are hard rubber, do they look/feel decent? I'm thinking they would look great on a commutation coat, if they are actually worth purchasing.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Johnson Hardy
    Last edited by JimKindred; 07-17-2013, 08:24 AM.
    Johnson Hardy

Re: Blockade Runner Goodyear Buttons

Test it, order one and dare to burn it, if it smells like burned rubber, you know it , if it burns like plastic, you will know it.
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I have some of those exact buttons scheduled to arrive tomorrow that I ordered to put on a civilian coat. I was curious just as you are about their composition. I'll post my conclusion when I receive them.
      Last edited by usmc7212; 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM.
      [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]~Phillip McClure~[/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE="2"]WIG/GVB[/SIZE]
      [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"] Battle Of Resaca, Ga; May 20-22
      150th 1st Mannassas; July 21-24
      Pickett's Mill Candle Light Tour; November 4-5[/COLOR][/SIZE]

"Our youth will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and maimed veterans as fit objects for derision...."

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]-- Patrick R. Cleburne, Major General[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8Vqp4X7fCVIuNM:http://www.iowaflags.org/gallery/assets/conf_45th_alabama.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Gents-

I know this was discussed fairly recently but I can't find it either.

As I recall the BR rubber buttons were plastic, at that time anyway, and other sources were mentioned for rubber buttons. The other sources were Etsy, Ebay, Button Baron and guy from New Jersey as I recall.
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Re: Goodyear Rubber Button Source

Phillip: thanks, I'll look forward to seeing what you have to say!
          Johnson Hardy

Comment

I would advise you to avoid the BR buttons. I have seen the four-hole "rubber" buttons in person and they are, unfortunately, plastic. A couple of good tests are if you rub or heat up an original rubber button enough it will stink like a burning tire, and if you tap one against a hard surface it should have a very dense-sounding and relatively high-pitched "clacking" noise, almost like you're tapping a rock against a table. The shore hardness of originals is generally identical to that of a bowling ball.

Your best bet for originals would be Button Baron or Bill MacIntosh of Mac's Sutlery. Bill is always a joy to work with and tirelessly sorts the quality/style of Goodyear buttons he finds to create matched sets. His prices are always good too. Odds are if you can tell him exactly what you're looking for then he has it.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Thank you, Brian.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thanks for the informative response, Brian. Very interesting.
                Johnson Hardy

Comment

Stumbled on this source as a possible. http://www.wtv-zone.com/julia801/Site/ReEnact.html
                  Mike Stein
                  Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

I have used Julia's Buttons before to get original Goodyear Buttons. I inquired as to a specific style of Goodyear button I was looking for and she worked with me to search her collection and find what I wanted. The price was not too bad and I was satisfied with the transaction. I have also acquired buttons from the Button Baron and Mac's. In my opinion Mac's prices are more reasonable than the Button Baron (one to three dollars per button compared to five to ten dollars per button at the Button Baron). I shopped for Goodyear buttons at both vendors at the 150th Gettysburg Blue/Gray Alliance event and the Button Baron has raised his prices on Goodyear buttons since the last time I saw him. The tricky part is finding buttons of the same design and size in a set with the amount you need. I usually find all of the sets of Goodyear's I have at different times from different vendors over time. Mac's did have some matching sets when I scoured his selection but I can not remember the designs or sizes. Good luck with your search.

JBRagsdale
                    John Difatta

Comment

Working...
                    X