Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Tn Inf

Hello All

Austin Sherron is the name. I've flirted with getting into CW reenacting for years, but I think I'm finally ready to go ahead and take the plunge. I have a soemthing that I'd like to run by you all here. Am I correct in assuming from my research that Columbus Depot jackets were what many West TN infantry regiments would have been wearing ?

Many thanks

Austin Sherron
    James Sheron

Re: West Tn Inf

Depends upon the year for the impression and depends upon whether the West Tennesseans about whom you speak were even in the Western Theater.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I'm looking to start an impression of a private in the 9th TN, H Co. I've been reading, and as of yet, all I've been able to find that seems to hold any water was that the 9th TN was almost all wearing frocks at Perryville, but as for before or after, I have not been able to find any information. The 9th was engaged at Shiloh, Perryville, Mufreesboro, Chickamagua, Franklin (they had been consolidated with the 6th TN I believe just before Franklin) The only other piece of info I've come across says that the Columbus Depot jacket was widely used among the Army of Tennessee/ Army of The Mississippi, but that of course is a wide statement. Many thanks !

Austin Sherron
      James Sheron

Comment

As Silas mentioned, it all just depends.Here is a great book, that may help clear up some of your questions. A great one to have in the collection.

Cheers,

Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown: Notes on Confederate Uniforms [Tom Arliskas] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown: Notes on Confederate Uniforms
        Eric N. Harley-Brown
        Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

just to be humorous-the west Tennessee infantry I portray never wore Columbus Depot jackets-preferring a nice indigo blue coat instead
          Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Austin-

Perhaps you already have joined a mess or unit but you may want to speak with the guys you are planning on falling in with and see what they recommend. If you are not planning on joining a mess you will be best served financially putting together as generic an impression/kit as possible. And than fine tune it from there.
            Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
            Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
            Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
            Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

wrote that just before Perryville, many men were outfitted with frocks. As far as what they were wearing before and after..I have not been able to run across any information. Thanks to all for the replies and info.
              James Sheron

Comment

Working...
              X