Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing knapsacks/blank rolls in battle

Guys,

I was wondering what are thoughts on wearing your knapsack or blanket roll in battle reenactments. From what research I've found it appears to be left up to the commanding officer if the soldiers baggage would be left in the rear under guard or carried into battle. I've noticed that some reference a unit leaving them in the rear at an earlier battle only to loose them and carring them at all times thereafter. I've used the search function but have come up empty on this.

Thanks,

Brett Bondurant
    Brett Bondurant
    Cape Fear Living History Society

Re: Wearing knapsacks/blank rolls in battle

Generally, I don't like "simulated combat". I'd rather be marching, drilling, or... heck, even guarding a pile of cracker boxes would be better (that's for you, Mess'r Fair).

But, "if" I'm going to "fight", I do what those I portray did. If they had their baggage with them, then so do I. We did this at the BGA Gettysburg event as the 1st TN... and it was interesting how few others did.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I've given this long thought... If I was going into a fight, a large major battle, I would want as few encumbrances as possible. If I had to weigh the contents of my knapsack against potentially my life it would be a no brainer. Just a train of thought.
      Mike Phineas
      Arlington, TX
      24th Missouri Infantry
      Independent Volunteer Battalion
      www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Brett, I think the biggest point, and Wickett points it out a bit in his post, is what did the soldiers that you are portraying do at that time? Did they drop packs? Did they just go in, full marching order?
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Brett,
          To echo the sentiments of Mr. Coats and Mr. Wickett, I don't think there is an all-encompassing answer to your question. It's all about time, place, and unit portrayed.
          Shawn Sturgill
          Governor Guards
          SCAR

Comment

Most Federal units dropped their Knapsacks once and never again, because the ended up losing them and all of their contents. The 83rd Pennsylvania, dropped their knapsacks at Gaines Mill and lost them. However, they did several days later, get many of them back at Malvern Hill, with all of their contents intact.
            The 83rd Pennsylvania Volunteers in the Civil War by Michael Schellhammer, discusses this in pretty good detail. Judson also mentions it in his book. But, again, learning the specific history for the unit you're portraying is the best way to go. In;
            No More Gallant a Deed: A Civil War Memoir of the First Minnesota Volunteers (Great Lakes Connections: The Civil... by James A. Wright, you'll find the same thing pretty much and Wright is so detailed in his writing, he describes on several occasions exactly what the unit was ordered to wear/carry during specific situations.

As for me, I can't remember any event where I didn't have all of my equipage, unless of course, I was ordered to drop it, it's what the boys of 186x did. Not some silly re-enactoism.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
            Past President Potomac Legion
            Long time member Columbia Rifles
            Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

I would agree if you are portraying a specific regiment/unit in a specific battle and they kept their knapsacks on going into the fray that is they way it should be done. No disagreement.

Having said that while at BGA Gettysburg and doing the 24th Michigan going into the first day's fight one of my comrades got tired of hauling his knapsack and said "to hell with the orders" and dropped it. I thought this was very authentic because no matter the orders someone will always break ranks and do what is easiest for them or what they want. And I would guess some of the 24th Michigan boys did it than too.
              Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
              Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
              Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
              Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

There was an incident recorded of CS artillery targetting a pile of US knapsacks at Stones River, and in the same battle one man, Arza Bartholemew (MN vol I think he was) wrote his wife after the battle saying he "took a ball in the blanket but wasn't hurt none." Two examples of the same army at the same fight where some dropped theirs and some carried theirs evidently.

Comment

August Bratnober 10th Wisconsin Infantry at Chickamauga "...we were ordered directly in front of it [Their Battery] and ordered to lie down; this was called supporting the battery. We then had our knapsacks on and were lying down at full length on our faces with heads down hill. Everybody felt that this was wrong as we could not roll over to reload in that condition. Soon the battery began firing; the concussion of the guns was terrific and we were fairly bumped against the guns at every discharge." -they would later lose that battery.
                  Mitchell L Critel
                  Wide Awake Groupie
                  Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Or put them on the wagon?

When Walker's Texas Division began its northern trek in the face of Bank's movement along the Red River in Louisiana in the spring of '64 they were ordered to put their knapsacks on the wagons to speed their march. They were reunited with their knapsacks three days and over 100 miles later and the accounts of how happy they were to be reunited with their belongs make for an interesting read.
                    Tom Yearby
                    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I know it's been beat into the ground here, but again, almost every account that I've read where soldiers dropped their blanket roll or knapsack, they almost always regretted it later due to the fact that many times, they could not be located after the engagement. After all, photos and personal items that could not be replaced would be in there...
                      [SIZE="3"][B]Chris Montague[/B][/SIZE]
                      Associate of the 10th Virginia Infantry/5th Wisconsin
                      Member of the Battalion of the Common Soldier

Golf Co, 2/23 Marines
                      Ar Ramadi/Al Fallujah, Iraq

Comment

To add another dog to the race, so-to-speak, there are also accounts of men dropping their baggage on the way into a fight and simply picking up items from the field on the way out. This is mentioned in A Texan In Search of a Fight in reference to Gettysburg.

"Off went blankets, knapsacks and all surplus baggage, and yelling and screaming we rushed on the batteries..."

"I threw away my blankets and all of my extra clothing when we went into the battle, but I picked up a blanket on coming out."

"In the battle I threw away my haversack and contents, except a flannel shirt and a pair of socks, which I tucked under my belt..."
                        Shawn Sturgill
                        Governor Guards
                        SCAR

Comment

Originally posted by Haversack View Post

"In the battle I threw away my haversack and contents, except a flannel shirt and a pair of socks, which I tucked under my belt..."

Wow, to those soldiers haversacks were their their most precious belongings.
                          Mike Phineas
                          Arlington, TX
                          24th Missouri Infantry
                          Independent Volunteer Battalion
                          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Great information guys. It pretty much confirms my idea that there really wasn't a set plan on this.

Brett Bondurant
                            Brett Bondurant
                            Cape Fear Living History Society

Comment

Since we're at the water now, "sure I can make this horse drink......"

Wick, Tom, Dave, Mitch, etc., have supplied valid points........ I wouldn't necessarily call this a summary, but consider.....

1. scenario should always dictate. do what they did there. (most important)
                              2. How battle seasoned was the unit? As mentioned, you may drop once and regret it.
                              3. What season and what location (mountains, coastal, river valleys, etc.)?
                              4. Fed or CS.... esp. important as time frame of war progresses... (esp CS)
                              5. How ready would one be to part with the keepsakes, mail, personal effects, contraband, images kept here? This is often the only thing keeping one going and sane.
                              6. this list is most likely arranged on rank of importance/value...... however, without much of this specific information another aspect to incorporate or help you decide is, injecting this into a similar experience at an event such as a BGR, Piney Woods, In the Van, Picket's Mill, etc. It is not just in battle as to whether you wish to risk parting with it, if only for a moment...... It's carrying it in general. If you have never done a 4+ day, multi-mile event where you could bring anything you wanted (to carry), .... you are missing out on an incredible period experience! (And I, and many on here, will strongly recommend such.) What is a feather on day one, becomes a cinder block on day 4...... Though of many points, main point being, what was in that knapsack after a little seasoning to those soldiers, was very important or valued to them. Most would not part with such unless with strong confidence they would be guaranteed retention of such, such as in a wagon..... when devoid of any of this information at an event, consider this.......
                              Last edited by MO-Pard; 07-23-2013, 10:29 PM.
                              Jay Stevens
                              Tater Mess
                              Independent Volunteers
                              Iron Man Mess
                              Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                              Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                              Lost Tribes, October 2009
                              Bummers, November 2009
                              Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                              The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                              In the Van, August 2010
                              Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X