Federal Forage Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Forage Caps

Since my current Type II forage cap has a corp badge permanetly attached to it (and taking it off would ruin the top/cloth badge w/ sticky backing) I decided to look into the possiblity of getting another one to keep plain. So, after reading (and rereading the CRRC (vol. 1)) that I got in 2001 I got a lot of knowledge on forage caps and then I looked at the impression guidlines of the Columbia Rifles in the back and it advised to purchase a Type I cap vs. a Type II.

My union impression is that of an infantry private in the Army of the Potomac...so, my question, how many of you use Type II vs. Type I caps? I know it's based on unit research, impression, etc...I just don't really see Type I's out there in the field that much whereas (as mentioned in the CRRC) Type II's are all over the place.

PS: I emailed Kevn O'Beirne too, but don't know if his email address that I have is current or not....

Thanks in advance and hopefully my question doesn't confuse you...

Sincerely,
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Federal Forage Caps

Pick up last months issue of North South Trader CW magazine. It has a good article on Civil war union caps with lots of original pictures of caps.

Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
    X