1842 springfield useage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1842 springfield useage

I have a 42 Springfield for my confederate impression of a north Carolina soldier, yet i was wondering how long one would have carried this rifle in the war. I know that every one says it was not used hardly at all after 63 or Chancellorsville in 62. But i just was wondering what some of y'all thought about it?

Austin Kirkland
    "just a poor man fighting a rich man's war"
    Austin Kirkland

Re: 1842 springfield useage

.69 caliber balls have been found on the 1865 Wyse Fork battlefield near Kinston NC
    Kevin Barnes

Comment

Depends on the unit and time frame. .69s were still being used late into the War in some cases.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Some units, like the Irish brigade, preferred the smoothbores. It all depends on what unit you are portraying.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Somewhere on this forum their are records posted of ammunition issued to various regiments. Suggest you chase this down and see what ammunition was being issued and to who.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
          X