Blanket Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blanket Usage

For those that do a dual US/CS impression (such as myself), I have an oppoinated question:

What would be a good substitute for a US blanket...while I'd like to get one from S&S, I'm currently short on funds (daycare, bills, etc). I know they have a Jean Cloth Blanket made by FHW for $99 and I also have a CS Mahone blanket that I use for my NC/General CS imression (could that be used for US as captured (it's dark tan/light brown w/ tan end stripes, got it from Childs).

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Blanket Usage

I certainly would not go buy another blanket for US unless it was an issue blanket...especially if you are going to spend the same amount of money. Try the Want to Buy feature on here.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Whether you get a "good deal" or spend full price, you'll want to get a correct blanket. I subscribe to Paul Calloway's theory that Shoes, Hat, Blanket, and Coat are the most visible portions of your impression and need to be correct.

I would suggest using your CS blanket if you can't borrow a US blanket. Don't waste your spondulex on a half-measure "good enough for now" blanket. Your pards won't let you freeze! ;)
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
        Whether you get a "good deal" or spend full price, you'll want to get a correct blanket. I subscribe to Paul Calloway's theory that Shoes, Hat, Blanket, and Coat are the most visible portions of your impression and need to be correct.

I would suggest using your CS blanket if you can't borrow a US blanket. Don't waste your spondulex on a half-measure "good enough for now" blanket. Your pards won't let you freeze! ;)
        Why John....is that your roundabout way of sayin' you need someone to spoon with....LOL (j/k :) )

Seriously though, I sold off my mainstream blanket and US frock to have some money put aside to upgrade my blanket and shelter half (I was able to get the Type II shelter half from Doddington but the blanket money got put to other uses (bills :( )). So I was just looking for an interim in the meantime....now that i live in NC, I don't do US as often as I'd like (more NC/CS).

Sincerely,
        Last edited by robwall1861; 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM. Reason: Clarification
        Robert F. Wallace
        38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
        North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hallo!

I will echo comments here...

It is hard to impossible to use the words "good substitute" and "short on funds" in the same sentence. Much akin to "fast" and "cheap.' :)

Blankets for Federals was an issue, as domestic manufacture could not meet demand, so foreign imports were used such as British, French, and other countries. "Gray " being the desired if not always achieved standard.

IMHO, to buy a really cheap poly/wool thin gray blanket just to have a gray blanket is ultimately costing more money. One ends up buying a cheap and undesirable blanket now, and then buying a more "premium' blanket later adding the two expenses together. If one is patient and looks at used premium blankets, and weighs the cost against the cost of Sutler Row Brand X blankets there is not (for most lads) that significant a price difference to throw money away on a shabby blanket.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

For those who might be pondering similar issues...

If you need a US blanket and a CS blanket, there is an argument to be made for getting the US blanket first. In a general sense, it is easier to explain a CS soldier using a capture US blanket than vice versa.

At the same time, a lot of getting a good kit "on the cheap" or grabbing those "limited run" superauthentic items is a matter of serendipity:
            When its in front of you, and you have the funds, grab it!

Personally, I missed out on Auggie Weissart blankets and the CS "Gettysburg" blankets each on their first run. I never got the Auggie, but I promise I paid more than the sticker price for the CS blanket on the used market.

Luck favors the bold!
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

See, you saved some money, and improved your impression, in not buying a bogus tan Auggie blanket... ;) :) :)

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
              X