musket slings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• musket slings

Hi i am wondering how common musket slings where in the civil war i have not seen many original photos with them on the gun. I have a 61 and 42 Springfield that i carry and was wondering how often the guns where issued with them on there. Also what was more common on the 42 Springfield a leather or a cloth sling.

Austin Kirkland
    "Just a poor man fighting a rich mans war"
    Austin Kirkland

Re: musket slings

Well to my knowledge every musket, rifle, and rifle musket would have been issued with a sling. At some point the sling could have worn out, gotten lost or used for something else. At that point weather a sling was reissued is the question.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: musket slings

When searching for "musket slings" here on the forums I got 96 hits (threads). Its that little window in the upper right corner of the page. As Bob says, slings were issued with rifles and muskets.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
      X