repro bayonets for the Enfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repro bayonets for the Enfield

Has anyone besides me had trouble fitting repro (Pakistani) bayonets on their Enfield? I have an old (mid-1980s) Armisport Enfield that won't take a repro bayonet, at least not a foreign one so far. It seems that the barrel is very slightly tapered toward the muzzle, and the bayonet socket will only go so far before it sticks. It clears the front sight, but will go no further. I'm betting that the specs were made based on the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle (or some other tube that looked close,) instead of further down where it's a tad wider.

Any suggestions?
    HenryC
    Henry B. Crawford
    Curator of History
    Museum of Texas Tech University

Re: repro bayonets for the Enfield

Originally posted by HenryC
    Has anyone besides me had trouble fitting repro (Pakistani) bayonets on their Enfield? I have an old (mid-1980s) Armisport Enfield that won't take a repro bayonet, at least not a foreign one so far. It seems that the barrel is very slightly tapered toward the muzzle, and the bayonet socket will only go so far before it sticks. It clears the front sight, but will go no further. I'm betting that the specs were made based on the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle (or some other tube that looked close,) instead of further down where it's a tad wider.

Any suggestions?
    HenryC
    Apparently, just about all repro (India/Pakistan) bayonets won't fit right off. Most need to be either reamed out (diameter), or like mine, be shortened on the back end to fit far enough down to clear the sight.
    Options are to get an original, or to take the repro to a gunsmith.

good luck.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B
    Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
    Outpost III

Comment

A few years back I took @.025 off of the I.D. and @.050 off of the overall length of a repro bayonet for a friend of mine. (In machinist speak that is a mile!)
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355
        Apparently, just about all repro (India/Pakistan) bayonets won't fit right off. Most need to be either reamed out (diameter), or like mine, be shortened on the back end to fit far enough down to clear the sight.
        Options are to get an original, or to take the repro to a gunsmith.

good luck.
        Yeah, my other option is also to find an original, but I'm hesitant to buy through the mail because I'd have to be sure of the fit. I usually take my Enfield to every event I attend (even when I'm going cav.) on the off chance someone has either an original or repro I can buy that'll fit. One dude had an original that fit perfectly, but it wasn't for sale.

Still looking.

HenryC
        Henry B. Crawford
        Curator of History
        Museum of Texas Tech University

Comment

I've had no problems since my Enfield is newer. But your best bet, and I'm sure others will echo this, is to pick an original. Repros do not hold up as well as an original. You can't go wrong with an original, obviously. I picked one up from Shiloh Relics. But don't mention to him that you plan to use it for living history. He would like to see all his items as simply relics, but he is a good guy. You may not get a perfect fit. You may have sand out some of the rust and that should fit. After recieving mine, I had no trouble. Actually, since I have de-blued it an taken all the markings off, the orignal is actually a little big. But, as I said, no wrong can be done with an original bayonet.
          Last edited by JimConley; 03-26-2004, 07:43 PM.
          Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Weird...... I have the opposite problem. My original bayonet don't fit my repro Enfield. Go figure! :angry_smi
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
            Cincinnati

Comment

Mr.Johnson,
              Imagine if the space shuttle had that kind of tolerance. Hell, imagine if a car had that kind of tolerance. Sounds likewood working specs to me. :D

Comment

Originally posted by 2RIVB
                Mr.Johnson,
                Imagine if the space shuttle had that kind of tolerance. Hell, imagine if a car had that kind of tolerance. Sounds likewood working specs to me. :D
                I think they can hold tighter tolerances with wood :wink_smil

I dont think they know what a micrometer is...were ever they make those things.
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                X