authentic hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• authentic hats

I am not sure where the best place to post this is, so I hope here is ok.
    I am planning on buying a hat from Tim Bender pretty soon, and I wanted to know how common the Flat Top Bowler would be in the ranks in comparison to the Flat Top Crown or others. My impression is a Western Federal, a city clerk, volunteer.
    I have seen in some previous threads alot of bender's hats referred to, but no one mentioned the flat top bowler. Is there anything wrong with using a flat top bowler in the field?
    Thanks.

Second question:
    I have heard alot of good remarks for Joel Bohy's forage cap and also for Semancik's.
    Is there much difference between these two? And if so, what is the difference?
    Thank you Again.
    Jaron Hudgins

Re: authentic hats

Greetings,
    You can do a search and I'm sure something will pop up. I started a thread a while back about Common Civilian Hats for Western Federals. There is much mention of many different types of hats.
    Here it is

It should answer your question.
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by jaron_hudgins
      I am not sure where the best place to post this is, so I hope here is ok.
      I am planning on buying a hat from Tim Bender pretty soon, and I wanted to know how common the Flat Top Bowler would be in the ranks in comparison to the Flat Top Crown or others. My impression is a Western Federal, a city clerk, volunteer.
      I have seen in some previous threads alot of bender's hats referred to, but no one mentioned the flat top bowler. Is there anything wrong with using a flat top bowler in the field?
      Thanks.

Jaron,
      Buy the one that looks best on you! Men of our period tended to take a great deal of pride in their headgear and given a choice, chose hats that suited their face and personality. You really can't go wrong with any of Mr Bender's fine hats. Don't forget to consider an Army Dress Hat shaped to fit your fancy.

Second question:
      I have heard alot of good remarks for Joel Bohy's forage cap and also for Semancik's.
      Is there much difference between these two? And if so, what is the difference?
      Thank you Again.
      Jaron Hudgins
      Again, your choice. Our hobby is currently blessed with many fine forage cap makers.

Cordially,

Comment

If your going with Tim Bender, why not a Army Dress Hat (Hardee), not that a GOOD civilian hat is not a bad choice. I recommend a style in black behive if civilian hats are your choice.
        [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
        [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
        [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Jaron,

Do you own an Army Hat by any chance?

Many different civilian Flat-top variations were pretty common in some cases..... I don't see any problem with your Flat-top bowler request at all. However, I do suggest you get the issue hat first though if you haven't already.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by HOG-EYE MAN
            Jaron,

Do you own an Army Hat by any chance?

Many different civilian Flat-top variations were pretty common in some cases..... I don't see any problem with your Flat-top bowler request at all. However, I do suggest you get the issue hat first though if you haven't already.
            Sir:

Hardees hat make a good choice I feel. us boys in the 7th KY US.were issued them things and we thought tey pretty darn ugly so you can shape them as you like but any good civ hat as long as it be black is ok too :wink_smil
            1st Corporal Gregory J. Dodge
            (aka) Alexlander Thompson
            7th Ky Vol Inf U.S./ Western Brigade Secretary-Treasurer
            President Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society

Comment

Joel Bohy's caps are top notch.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Gentlemen:
                Thank you for your comments and advice. I do not currently own an issue 1858 Army Hat and from what I get from this site and other friends and also pictures that it probably should be the first one I get. So a "hardee hat" it is.
                Thanks for the input.
                Jaron Hudgins

Comment

What unit are you in? If you're in a unit (a more designated unit) you might want to re-think getting a issue dress hat. Now, I don't have a problem with them, but the main question is, what was your unit issued? If you can't find any records (for lack of availability or just not around), you should look at photographs of your unit. If their aren't any, then I'm not sure what you would do. If you're in a mess, with no designated unit, then go ahead and buy one, but remember that if your unit wasn't issued one you probably don't want to get one. I believe civilian hats are good because they can be more generic. Any soldier could very well have bought one whil passing through a city (perhaps St. Louis or a smaller one); granted he had the money.
                  Just my 2 cents.
                  I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                  Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                  Hard Head Mess
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack
                    What unit are you in? If you're in a unit (a more designated unit) you might want to re-think getting a issue dress hat. Now, I don't have a problem with them, but the main question is, what was your unit issued? If you can't find any records (for lack of availability or just not around), you should look at photographs of your unit. If their aren't any, then I'm not sure what you would do. If you're in a mess, with no designated unit, then go ahead and buy one, but remember that if your unit wasn't issued one you probably don't want to get one. I believe civilian hats are good because they can be more generic. Any soldier could very well have bought one whil passing through a city (perhaps St. Louis or a smaller one); granted he had the money.
                    Just my 2 cents.
                    Thank you for your reply, actually that's exactly what I was thinking after I posted that last message. I am not in a Federal unit, but in a confederate one. I am only part of a Federal mess and really need the uniform only when my group galvanizes or events where I fall in with friends in other Federal units. Another thing that I didn't mention at first that might be important, I live out in Oklahoma, so we are talking about some major western theater action here. Colorado Units and other Federal units that fought out in the Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma area would be my main impression, but I'd like it also to be able to work for Tennessee types of reenacting. With this in mind I was wondering if a private purchase civilian hat like the flat top bowler wouldn't be just as accurate? Once again, I'd like some opinions from you guys who know. Thanks.
                    In fact, suggestions on the entire impression would be greatly appreciated as I have just started trying to put it together.
                    Jaron Hudgins

Comment

If you have the extra scratch, get two dress hats. I have a beat up one for a campaign impression and a full trimmed hat for garisson.
                      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I am not an expert, but I know (from photographs) that a Civilan Hat should (or would) be acceptable. However, a lot of the pictures of units from far west, most of the men are wearing Forage Caps. Someone else help me out here. I am not sure where to find photos of such units. I will post a few of AotT units for you to see common hats. I will continue to search, and shall post back later. For good pictures of hats in the Army of the Tennessee units i posted these images (the last one is Army of the Cumberland camp in Tennesee).

Hope this helps at all.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by theknapsack; 03-25-2004, 12:02 AM.
                        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                        Hard Head Mess
                        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Beating a dead horse.... This thread is beat.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                          Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeeboy
                            Sir:

Hardees hat make a good choice I feel. us boys in the 7th KY US.were issued them things and we thought tey pretty darn ugly so you can shape them as you like but any good civ hat as long as it be black is ok too :wink_smil
                            Ah, but just what was the 7th KY issued? Have you looked at the QM records? I am sure that they do still exist. Getting to see them is another story. Just funning you here, I am really surprised that the 7th still exist.

Comment

Working...
                            X