• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canteen Halves

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssplate..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	222281IMO a canteen half plate would usually be used in winter quarters or a camp situation. I have found several. Two have been in hut sites and another was in a Petersburg trench. A soldier on the march or campaign may have had little use for a plate. The edges are sharp. Just a thought.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I just wish someone would make a few of these nifty items........

Neill Rose
      Palmetto Guards
      Iron Scouts
      Attached Files

Comment

That is hinged where it's riveted together, yes? Are there pictures of the hinge? Any more documentation on it? (Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, never seen one exactly like that before)
        Stephen Adler
        Co. I, 116th P.V.I., Irish Brigade - National Regiment

Comment

Stephan,

It's actually hinged under the folding handle....not visable in the picture unfortunately. One of the many pieces from Wade Hampton's mess chest. Neat piece!

Neill Rose
          Palmetto Guards,
          Iron Scouts

Comment

When shopping with any main stream vendor you have to sort through and find what items are quality or just junk. When I first got into reenacting and didnt know any better I got some gear from Blockade Runner including a canteen half. When I opened the box I discovered the canteen half to be poorly made. The tin used for the canteen half was entirely to thin and could be folded up with one hand using little energy. Im not bashing Blockade Runner , however the canteen half I recieved from them was not of good quality. I spent the same amount of money and got one from S&S that is of good quality and has held up nicley in the field. So I would recommend S&S. Just my two cents, or you can have mine from blockade runner for free haha just pay the shipping.
            Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
            Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

Comment

Does anyone reproduce an accurate canteen half? I have yet to see one that is the right size, depth or has a lip. If you ever see a split canteen you will immediately recognize the difference between half a canteen and what is being sold by vendors as a "canteen half".

Much like the mucket that was so common in the 1980's and 90's, the canteen half is an item that authentic reenactors should rethink.
              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                Does anyone reproduce an accurate canteen half? I have yet to see one that is the right size, depth or has a lip. If you ever see a split canteen you will immediately recognize the difference between half a canteen and what is being sold by vendors as a "canteen half".
                Exactly, which supports my posting a few months ago regarding the size and shape of the canteens many (most?) of us are using....A friend of mine has a repop canteen which is "right" i.e. size, shape, volume capacity) but does not know who made it, he bought it used from another in the unit.
                Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

I will echo what has been said in a few easy steps;
                  Step one: Obtain new canteen.
                  Step Two: Remove cover, strap, and cork from old canteen
                  Step Three: Build fire.
                  Step Four: Toss old canteen in fire.
                  Step Four Squared: Wait, drink a couple of beers, high balls, boiler makers or what have you.
                  Step Five: Remove old canteen from fire and bang on ground a few times.
                  Viola! (That's French for "Cool, now I have two canteen halves from which to prepare my meals!")
                  If you were wise in your canteen purchase and bought authentically you now have a cook pot/plate/shovel/lice racing stadium. Hint: Extra half makes excellent gift for your friends or lovers, your lover's friends, or friends of your lover's.
                  Scott House

Comment

I skipped step two and kicked the crap out of it when I got it out of the fire. Others milage may vary.

And my friend found said canteen abandoned by the rebs on Red River I.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I was thinking why bang on it...60 grains of powder, canteen in the fire, and bam...instant canteen halves...sigh

Paul B.
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Little explosions are more fun than banging.
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Some friends and I did this to two canteens at events about a fifteen years ago. Watch the spout when the powder goes off, as it fired off when the halves separated. On one occasion we only got one usable half per canteen, as the top half clam shelled up when it didn't separate well. The first time we did this, the top half blew straight up in the air and floated down a few feet away. One final bit of advice...don't blow on the powder trail if it fails to initially ignite. One friend got the equivalent of a major sunburn and lost his eyebrows when it finally took. Thankfully he didn't need to go to the hospital, but the tube of sunburn ointment we got for him really didn't do as much as the libation he took afterward to deal with the pain.
                          Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Working...
                          X