Gun cleaning kits for campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun cleaning kits for campaign

Hello, I'm a long-term lurker, first-time poster. I was wondering about cleaning kits for muskets on campaign? What kit would they have carried on campaign for weapon maintenance? And what sort of kit should we, as reenactors who at the end of the weekend can go home to the wonders of modern black powder cleaning oil, be carrying?
    Oliver Marks

20th Maine, Company F (UK)

Re: Gun cleaning kits for campaign

Musket worm- It seems to becoming more popular in recent years to carry one. They all did, so why not us? The only way to effectively run a patch down the barrel and not get your ramrod stuck.
    Mainspring Vise- Good for a 1st SGT to carry (not everyone needs one). Convenient for saving $10 bucks if a mainspring ever breaks at an event.
    Ball Puller- Just for looks at an event (unless that event uses live ammo).
    Cone Pick- In cap box
    Musket Wrench- For removing the cone/screws

I usually carry a tin with as many patches as I can carry (because there's always that guy who won't and have to borrow), and then a smaller tin container inside that I carry oiled patches.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

I carry a small tin of a beeswax/tallow(fat) mixture that I will apply to the metal to prevent surface rust if the weather becomes rainy or if I expect my musket to be in a stack when morning frost settles.

Here is an older thread that discusses cleaning of weapons, although the focus is more on cleaning during a battle. Enjoy!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Worm, rags, cup of hot water and a vial of sweet oil.
        David H. Thomas
        Starr's NC Battery
        Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I was wondering what sort of material you'd recommend for patches?
          Oliver Marks

Comment

Cotton cloth, plain. Old T-shirts work well. Muslim sucks.
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Paul D. Johnson's book Civil War Cartridge Boxes of the Union Infantryman has a few references to field maintenance as well as the regulations for what each soldier should carry in their implement pouch. I don't have the book in front of me for the quotes at the moment.

To Mark's point, the 1st Sergeant generally carried the mainspring vice. Muslin works better than Muslim ;), but not by much! Old shirting material is a good source and you could also use scraps of osnaburg if the weight isn't too thick.

I would also recommend a spare cone (nipple) in case one breaks or gets clogged. A piece of kersey will also do in a pinch to remove surface buildup and to polish brass.
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

That's good advice. I'd say it's a balance between carrying all the spares you'll need, and having too much equipment. You wouldn't expect the army to have directly issued spare cones!
                Oliver Marks

Comment

Hallo!

Don't forget tow. :)

From Rules for the Management and Cleaning of the Rifle Musket, Model 1861, for the Use of Soldiers (applies to the Springfield Models 1855, 1861, and 1863, and more generally to the Enfield Models 1853 and 1858), under "Rules for Cleaning":

It is not essential for the musket to be dismounted {disassembled} every time that it is cleaned; for, after firing it in fine weather, or when there has been no chance for the wet to get between the barrel and the stock, it can be perfectly cleaned in the following manner.

Put a piece of rag or soft leather on the top of the cone, and let the hammer down upon it; pour a gill of water into the muzzle carefully, so that it does not run down the outside; put a plug of wood into the muzzle, and shake the gun up and down, changing the water repeatedly until it comes out clear. When clear, withdraw the leather, and stand the musket on the muzzle for a few moments; then wipe out the barrel (as given in the second rule for cleaning {see below}), and also wipe the exterior of the lock and the outside of the barrel around the cone and cone-seat first with a damp rag, and then with a dry one, and lastly with a rag that has been slightly oiled. In this way, all the dirt due to the firing may be removed without taking out a screw.

2nd. Screw the wiper on to the end of the ramrod, and put a piece of dry cloth, or tow, round it, sufficient to keep it from chafing the grooves of the barrel; wipe the barrel quite dry, changing or drying the cloth two or three times.

3d. Put no oil into the vent, as it will clog the passage, and cause the first primer to miss fire; but, with a slightly oiled rag on the wiper, rub the bore of the barrel,... and immediately insert the tompion into the muzzle."

Cones (nipples) fall under the loose term "appendages" seen in issuances or contracts. "Primary" appendages were the wiper, wrench, and spare cone carried in the implement pocket of the cartridge box. A nipple pick was carried in the cap box. And perhaps oddly enough, soldiers were supposed to keep the wooden tompion in the gun barrel at all times when the gun was in use.

The M1841 Rifle carried tools in its "patchbox" including a place for the cone to go. This was changed with the M1855 RM and R, and either grease or greased rag piece went in the "patchbox."
                  They were going to continue on with a small round "patchbox' for the M1861, but while proposed was rejected.

There were also secondary appendages asset to be issued at the rate of one per ten muskets (actual numbers varied). NUG, they were a ball puller. mainspring vise, and a tumbler/spring pin punch.
                  They are sometimes called "Sergeant's Tools' today as enlisted men were not supposed to "dismount" their weapons.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

In the field, I store cotton and wool patches in my implement box. Cotton for inside the barrel. Wool for applying oil to the outside. I have an "everything loose goes here" bag in my knapsack. In said bag will a worm, a small bottle of olive oil and six feet of strong twine.

After a sufficient amount of preferably hot water has been poured through the barrel so that it runs clean, I attach cotton patches to the twine and use the small end of my ramrod to run the patches down and up the barrel. (This works really, really well.) I repeat until satisfied the weapon is clean. Three or four patches is often sufficient. To finish, I'll pour a tad amount of oil down the barrel and work an oiled patch in the barrel. Then I'll apply olive oil to the stock and all metal parts with a wool patch.

I prefer olive oil because it's not petroleum based. If you're applying that kind of product to your musket and eating with the same hands, you're ingesting petroleum product. It may not be much, but it is some nonetheless. Besides, olive oil is great on your hands, combed into your hair, applied on rashes and can be dabbed on hardtack. It's underappreciated stuff with many uses.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I keep a small tin with a couple of worms and patches as the orderly sgt and carry a small tin of olive oil/sweet oil. I also carry spare patches, a spare cone pick and wrench in my implement pouch just to help guys in line who have problems. Another place I carry spare patches so I have them all the time is the sweat band of my Hardee hat. I probably carry too much for the average guy, but I make sure I have stuff for the men who don't come prepared. I like the suggestion mentioned above about a small tin of beeswax/tallow, how do you make that? Melt it together and pour in the tin?
                      Frank Siltman
                      24th Mo Vol Inf
                      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                      Company of Military Historians
                      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Found the passage in Johnson's book.

Starting in 1855, musket tools were kept in the implement pouch. The following tools were carried by Sergeants: mainspring vice, combination tool (for nipple wrench and screwdrivers), musket nipple for appropriate musket, ball puller, barrel worm, brass head and wood tompion (later all wood), and tumbler/band spring punch. Privates would carry all of these tools except the mainspring vice and tumbler punch. I think by the Civil War only First Sergeants were carrying the larger tool set, but that is a generalization.

Paraphrasing Johnson's book, it is available on page 81 should you get a chance to look at a copy or obtain the book; which I highly recommend.

Hope this helps.
                        Ivan Ingraham
                        AC Moderator

Comment

Everything I use can fit in a tiny breath mint tin.
                          Mike Phineas
                          Arlington, TX
                          24th Missouri Infantry
                          Independent Volunteer Battalion
                          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

First post from lurker "fresh fish." I'm more interested at the moment in skirmishing than full-on campaigning. While reasonably fit, at over forty I'm too old for a convincing impression, I'd think. Although I did have an ancestor in the Iowa 37th "Gray-beards" regiment who was quite an old farmer when he signed on to guard Rebel prisoners, train depots, warehouses, stockades and whatnot.

I currently have a Pedersoli reproduction M1841 percussion rifle, aka. "Jäger" or "Mississippi rifle" but with a three-groove, 1 in 72" twist .58-cal. Minié barrel instead of the original 7-groove 1 in 66" twist patched .54 ball that was more common. I intend to put a M1842 or M1855 musket combination tool, and several tallow or beeswax and tallow saturated flannelette cloths and an extra cone in the patch box.

Does anyone make the ball puller screw and the wiper/ "worm" for the Mississippi rifle? I've looked in vain. I've seen original wipers, and they are both expensive and should probably be considered artifacts and retired from use. They were quite long as a rule. Longer than the stock .577" Enfield tools that I have seen. Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

Very respectfully, &c.,
                            Dave "FedericoFCavada"
                            David C. Carlson

Comment

To Silas,

I've seen and gotten enough ramrods stuck in musket barrels while cleaning that I'm really intrigued by your strong twine baited with a tied on cotton patch for musket cleaning. Sounds just like how we used to "fish" for crawdads in the creeks of east Texas back in the day. Except we tied raw bacon to the twine.

Do you use a standard 2' inch square patch or something larger? Do you just tie one patch at a time to the twine? Can one patch get enough contact with the barrel?

It's rare that something new and sensible comes along that could prevent so much hassle around the campfire after our battles. I've got to try it

Thanks,
                              Phil McBride
                              Author:
                              Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
                              Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
                              Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
                              Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
                              Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
                              Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

Working...
                              X