Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun cleaning kits for campaign

Phil,

I sew. A lot. I make my patches from left over fabric. I just do 'em by eye and are probably larger than 2x2. A random sampling from my sewing cabinet reveals patches a tad larger than 2.5 x 2.5. I wouldn't use anything smaller than that without grabbing a second patch to double the size of the wad.

After folding the patch in half lengthwise twice, I'll wrap the string twice around the middle of the patch then give it a single over hand knot. Then around again for a second overhand knot. I want that second knot to be sufficiently tight that it won't give way easily, but not so tight that I won't be able to undo it when grabbing a fresh patch to repeat the process.

A square knot will be too tight. I'd have to cut the string to apply a new patch. The pair of single over hand knots is sufficient to keep the patch attached to the string. After a few patches, it's not unusual for the twine to be frayed. I just cut the twine and start anew. The length of twine is half again as long as the barrel, so, yes, the patch goes all the way to the bottom.

I use your prepared patch with string, bend the patch into a U shape. Invert the patch and insert the "legs" of the U first. The bottom of the U with the string is at the top. Push it in with your thumb and then break out the ramrod - screws down - for the first couple patches.

The first two patches are going to be filthy. Don't use them for more than a couple insertions. If you try to clean the musket with your first patch, you risk getting it stuck. It's like half lives of radiation. You'll get as much as half of the gunk with the first patch. You'll get as much as half of the remaining gunk with the second patch. By your third and fourth patches there is less and less gunk while you're now able to apply more action to the patches because they don't get as dirty as quickly. This same principle applies to standard methods of cleaning.

Like other methods, if you feel like it might be getting stuck, remove it and start anew. It usually means you didn't apply sufficient water and remove enough easy powder from the barrel. Add water and start over. No big deal.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I have used a round tin container for years, in which I keep a couple of very oily patches, (due to advice from Mark Silas Tackitt, am changing to using olive oil instead of a motor oil product) a .58 and .69 worm, a couple of period square nails, and a small leather square. I keep a good sized piece of white cotton flannel material on hand to use as a rag, and to cut patches as needed for cleaning the barrel.

I use the square nail to stick a piece of cloth onto the end, and use that to swab out the percussion cone's threaded hole, being careful to NOT mar the threads! Also the nail gives me leverage, by sticking it in the slotted head on the ramrod of my Enfield, if a patch is a bit tight. The leather square's for placing over the percussion cone, close the hammer down onto it to keep water from leaking out the barrel during cleaning. I have this all in a small ditty bag, along with the flannel material.

Kevin Dally
      Kevin Dally

Comment

Field cleaning as described is fine. Just clean your musket properly when you back from the event.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hallo!

"Does anyone make the ball puller screw and the wiper/ "worm" for the Mississippi rifle?"

No.

If you have a friend with a lathe, etc., etc, steel shank extensions can be lathe turned/tapered and drilled and tapped to mount repro tools. Granted they would not be accurate one piece forged/turned items but can be made to fairly close.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Not exact, but it would get you 95% there, if you lack access to a lathe and an original to take the dimensions from:

Joe Knight

Armory Guards
            Yocona Rip Raps
            "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen.

I've got an 1842 cone wrench/ screw driver on the way. I've also got some tallow, so that will do for patches in the latched patch box. As for the bullet puller, while inauthentic, I'll attach an 8x32 bullet puller to a 10x32 to 8x32 adapter as a facsimile that will not be seen too closely or at least close up. I'll think about the wiper. I've identified the sources for various "add ons" such as those for several Federal variations like the 11k Colt modified 1841s with clamp on bayonet lugs for the huge Yataghan sword bayonet and the Model 1855 revolving rifle rear sights and others. Thanks very much!

Lieber Herrn Curt Schmidt,

That is actually the very image from the very article--monograph--on the Model 1841 "Mississippi" or Jäger or "Yaeger" rifle that set me off wondering how to reprise the older tools that fit in the patch box! Thanks for all the informative articles, information, and posts based on your research.

Danke, and Thanks,
              Very respectfully,
              Your obedient servant, &c.
              Dave "FF Cavada" Carlson.
              David C. Carlson

Comment

Bump, in part so I can locate this thread easier, but also for a more important purpose. With a new season commencing, folks ought to consider how clean their weapons in the field quickly, easily and effectively. It's easy to let things slide on campaign, but a firearm isn't one of the things. When it comes to musket cleaning, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                X