Ramrod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramrod question

I have a repro ramrod on my 1861 Springfield and I am in the market for a wiper and ball screw. Most places I go to sell them as Armi Sport or Euro arms. I have no idea what company made mine, does anybody know the differance in thread pitch between the two? Is on English and on metric? Mine is 30 TPI.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: Ramrod question

I did the simple thing and brought the rammer with me for a test fit. If it fits in the shop, then it should fit in the field. If you happen to be able to bring along the whole weapon, that's good too. Even though the originals are not supposed to fit the reproduction rammers, some actually do. Look out for slightly oversized wipers that won't fit as advertised, .69 cal. wipers that look right, but are made for a larger bore. My personal pet peeve is the wiper with the tines reversed so it unscrews when working in the correct direction. Odds are you won't notice this mishap unless it is screwed off and sitting comfortably in the confines of the breechplug. Yep, I have one, and it defies logic. It is a good conversation piece.

Although I have yet to see a really comprehensive chart or photo aid for the the small tools, as a rule of thumb each model weapon had some slightly (and not so slightly) different implements. It is out there somewhere, and maybe even in an old North-South Trader magazine article.

Good luck.

Charles Heath
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Thanks Charles

But every screw/bolt and nut have two things in common, threads per inch/MM and diameter. I need to find out what both Euro Arms and Armysport use for there threads. Once again Charles thank you for your input.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
        But every screw/bolt and nut have two things in common, threads per inch/MM and diameter. I need to find out what both Euro Arms and Armysport use for there threads.
        You really are going to make me walk out to the tractor shed and play try-on with the small die set and thread guage. :baring_te

The trusty '42 appears to be a 10/24 thread, the Armisport is supposed to be a 10/32 according to their literature, and I draw a blank on the Euroarms/NavyArms. I do see what you mean by the Italian thread comments. A quick answer may be had by giving Lodgewood a call or an email. I'm sure they deal with this all the time with folks wanting accessories.

If yours has a 30 TPI count, then it may be the odd man out. At one time there was a long post reposted once in a while about the different cone and rammer thread sizes. I haven't seen that information come across a forum in a while, and the person who used to provide that thoughtful information may be out of the hobby or otherwise occupied with other things.

Taylor's mentions a 5.8mm ramrod for the Armisport, so the mystery thickens. I guess that converts out to a 5-.80 metric. Some of their cleaning items are very modern, but they do have some of the repop products, as well. Some of the online information conflicts with the in-hand, and a newer weapon may be different from an older one.

Charles Heath
        Last edited by Charles Heath; 04-07-2004, 09:21 AM. Reason: Added some info
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Thanks again Charles. I just miced the thing out and it is a 10-32. Would that be a Armisport or a Euro Arms?
          Robert Johnson

Comment

I really got tired of the thread difference between my 61SF, 42SF, M-1841, Parker Hale enfield and the repro ramrod on my original Norwich when trying to use original worms. I had the fellow across the street who is a pretty good machinest rethread all my ramrods to fit the original tools. Now if I can just remember what size die he used.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo
              I really got tired of the thread difference between my 61SF, 42SF, M-1841, Parker Hale enfield and the repro ramrod on my original Norwich when trying to use original worms. I had the fellow across the street who is a pretty good machinest rethread all my ramrods to fit the original tools. Now if I can just remember what size die he used.
              I may do just that. I could do it on my lunch break.

I can hear it now; Johnson what the heck are you doing!? Making stuff for my gun... :tounge_sm

But seriously that would put an end to all my problems.
              Robert Johnson

Comment

To refresh, can anyone point me to a list of the original thread specifications for the various muskets used during the war? I've seen references to a previously-published Dixie Gun Works chart, but I haven't found it through any of the searches I've performed. I'm looking specifically for information on

1. The M1816

2. The M1855/1861.

Thanks!

John Mason
                Fisher's Mess

Comment

Working...
                X