Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicory Source?

Pards,

I am preparing a company ration for an Army of Tennessee unit (Kennesaw 64), and want to supply chicory in lieu of coffee. Does anyone have a good source for bulk chicory? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan Limb
    Dan Limb
    One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
    James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Re: Chicory Source?

Hi Dan, chicory, I believe is underrepresented in the hobby so I am happy to see someone else including it into a ration issue.

As far as a source, depending on the amount that you intend to issue to each person you may be able to go right to the local grocery store and get it. The brand is Café du monde and comes in a yellow can. Another easily procured brand is Luzianne. Both come in approximately one pound containers and vary in price from $10-$15. If its not something that you can find in the Pacific Northwest, I know you can get it on Amazon.

I hope this helps!

-Tyler
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I may be wrong because I'm not a coffee drinker, but I think those store brands are coffee with chicory in them and not a full-blown chicory coffee. I'd check the labels just to make sure.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

I got some off amazon, it's already dried and ground, about the consistency of ground coffee. It's Frontier Natural Products Co-op. It comes in one pound bags and was about $6.00 per pound when I got it.
        Rob Warren
        GySgt 2d MarDiv

Comment

Dan, I'm 98% certain I can get some from Pike Place Market. I only hedge because I haven't been to the spice place in a while. How much do you want? I can look.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Mike, you are correct. Both brands that I mentioned are a chicory and coffee mix.
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Cafe du Monde only sells the blend and most Luzianne products are either pure coffee or the blend, but Luzianne does offer a product called "Coffee Partner" or some such silliness which is just chicory.
              Pat Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                Dan, I'm 98% certain I can get some from Pike Place Market. I only hedge because I haven't been to the spice place in a while. How much do you want? I can look.

Is this about right for what would have been available?

Dan
                Dan Limb
                One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

I did a little field research for one of the The Unfinished Fight books on coffee substitutes some years ago. Chicory is quite bitter by itself. IIRC, peanuts made a very interesting hot drink more along the lines of cocoa which is what you would expect being a legume (bean) itself. All worked best as extenders rather than as substitutes and none tasted very much like coffee in particular.

There is a period anecdote told by Francis Thurber, a 19th century grocery man, which concerns a man who went into a restaurant in New Orleans and asked whether they had chicory. When the waiter said yes, he requested a cup. The waiter brought some and the man asked if they had any more. When the waiter responded that they did have more, the customer asked the waiter to bring all the chicory in the restaurant. When the customer had been assured that he had all the chicory in the restaurant, he then said "Great. Now make me some coffee."
                  Craig L Barry
                  Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                  Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                  Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                  Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Sorry to steer slightly away from the original question, but another substitute you should try is sweet potato coffee. It is pretty darn good and is something you can easily do at home.
                    Of course you can gather your own chicory root too, but those things can be a real pain to dig out of the ground.
                    Tyler Underwood
                    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                    Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Underwood View Post
                      Sorry to steer slightly away from the original question, but another substitute you should try is sweet potato coffee. It is pretty darn good and is something you can easily do at home.
                      Of course you can gather your own chicory root too, but those things can be a real pain to dig out of the ground.
                      I made some of that last year for an event! I liked it so much that I used the rest in my daily coffee. I would be issuing it this year if it weren't for the fact that I am issuing sweet potatoes already.

I'm not sure if chicory grows in Oregon though...

Dan Limb
                      Dan Limb
                      One of THEM!

Direct Descendent of

Comment

Chicory is bitter by itself. It is a fairly common roadside plant in many areas if anyone wanted to try to collect and make their own. You might check on native plants for your state and see if it can be found.
                        Michael Comer
                        one of the moderator guys

Comment

I am leaning towards this: http://www.herbco.com/p-456-chicory-...fY8aAr3-8P8HAQ

I feel that the government would have issued it in an unground form. Though it is hard to tell the size of the granules.

Dan
                          Dan Limb
                          One of THEM!

Direct Descendent of

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Underwood View Post
                            I tested sweet potato coffee too...they say the residue leftover from the roasted brew in the bottom of the pot was used as a stain remover. That should tell you a lot about how it tastes.
                            Craig L Barry
                            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I think I used Yams for mine. Soft and mellow.

Dan Limb
                              Dan Limb
                              One of THEM!

Direct Descendent of

Comment

Working...
                              X