CS artillery presentation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS artillery presentation help

Comrades - as a part of our efforts to raise $10,000 to mount a one of a kind Confederate made 6 lb Bronze Field Gun rescued from obscurity out here in Payette Idaho, I have been asked to give a presentation on CS artillery on May 15 at a local museum. I would like to concentrate on what it was like to be a red leg for the confederacy, with some background on the guns themselves and organization, but my primary emphasis will be on the soldiers themselves.

I have a copy Edward A Moore's book (The Story of a Cannoneer Under Stonewall Jackson) and Carlton McCarthy (I will be careful with that one) and I have the CS artillery manual, as well as various sources that address the artillery.

Is there a good bibliography out there that will round this out...or better still, a presentation or dissertation or two close to what I need? My problem is time - have very little of it. I want this to go well as I may be wandering the state of Idaho and speaking to politicians etc trying to squeeze the money out of them to pay to mount and fully equip this treasure.

Thansk!!
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: CS artillery presentation help

From the United States Military History Institute:

CONFEDERATE ARTILLERY

A Working Bibliography

Chew, R. Preston. Report of his battalion and subordinate batteries, 1864. Lewis Leigh Coll, Arch.

McIntosh, David G. Letters and memoirs reflecting his service as battery and battalion commander. MiscColl, Arch.

Ripley, Warren. Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1970. 384 p. UF23R562.

Wise, Jennings C. The Long Arm of Lee: The History of the Artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia. NY: Oxford Univ Press, 1959. 995 p. E546.6W5.

CONFEDERATE ORDNANCE, ESPECIALLY ARTILLERY

A Working Bibliography

Bruce, Kathleen. Economic Factors in the Manufacture of Confederate Ordnance. Reprinted from Army Ordnance, Vol 6, Nov 1925 and Jan 1926. 13 p. UF523.5B88.

_________. Virginia Iron Manufacture in the Slave Era. NY: Century, 1931. 482 p. TS303B88.

Confederate States of America. Navy Dept. Ordnance Instructions for the Confederate States Navy . . . . London: Saunders, Otley, 1864. 280 p. UF523.5A3.

_________. Ordnance Office. The Ordnance Manual for the Use of Officers of the Officers of the Confederate States Army. Charleston, SC: Evans & Cogswell, 1863. 546 p., 33 plates. UF523.5A2.

Dew, Charles B. Ironmaker to the Confederacy: Joseph R. Anderson and the Tredegar Iron Works. New Haven: Yale Univ Press, 1966. 345 p. HD9519T7D4.

Gorgas, Josiah. "Notes on the Ordnance Department of the Confederate States of America." Typescript carbon, 1911. 44 p. UF510.35G66

Ripley, Warren. Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1970. 384 p. UF23R562. See also his bibliography.

Vandiver, Frank E. Ploughshares Into Swords: Josiah Gorgas and Confederate Ordnance. Austin: Univ of TX Press, 1952. 349 p. E467.1G68V3.

Wise, Jennings C. The Long Arm of Lee: The History of the Artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia. NY: Oxford Univ Press, 1959. 995 p. E546.6W5.
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

The civil war artillery site is a good reference- it has a lot of information and many links.

These books have a lot of pictures and illustrations that could be helpful in your presentations.

Katcher, P. Confederate Artilleryman 1861-1865 (2001). Osprey Publishing

Katcher, P. American Civil War Artillery 1861-1865 (2001) Osprey Publishing

Arms and Equipment of the Confedereracy (Echos of Glory- Time Life Books) p. 282-300

Jim Wolf
      Scott's Tennessee Battery
      Jim Wolf
      Scotts Tennessee Battery CSA
      20th Iowa Infantry (SVR-SUVCW)

Comment

Doug:

Two references that I have found extremely helpful are Porter Alexander's memoirs, Fighting for the Confederacy, and Larry J. Daniel's Cannoneers in Gray: The Field Artillery of the Army of Tennessee, 1861-1865. The latter book is probably a lot closer to what you are wanting, though Alexander gives an excellent look of what is was like to be an artillery officer at the time.

Both are fairly quick finds using Amazon...

Tom
        Tom Ezell

Comment

Perfect guys - was wading through a lot of stuff and this really helps narrow it down.

Thanks!!
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,
            One of the best memoirs that I have ever read is the Civil War Memoir of Phillip D. Stephenson. PD served in the 5th Company of Washington Artillery and his writing style is awesome. The book is available through LSU Press.

Lee
            Lee White
            Researcher and Historian
            "Delenda Est Carthago"
            "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X