Authentic Stationary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Stationary

Is there any place out there that has period stationary such as letters with the patriotic symbols on the top i.e Eagle or Stars and Bars Flag? Or just any period stationary would do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jacob Hill
    Independent Rifles

Re: Authentic Stationary

Jacob -

I know of quite a few sutlers that carry stationary with eagles and patriotic sayings and the lot on them. You might wish to check the vendors portion of this board.
    I have a question about stationary myself.........where can I find the elusive blue paper with lines that was so popular with soldiers during the war?

Richard H. Holloway
    Capt., Vance Guards
    19th LA. Vols.

Comment

While he does not, to my knowledge, reproduce the blue lined paper, the best source IMHO for repop paper goods is Mr. Bob Sullivan of Sullivan's Press (can be found at http://www.sullivanpress.com/index.htm). He has a wide variety of period stationary styles as well as ink powder, correct pens, and stamps. I also find it quite relaxing to include one of his dime novels in my pocket for those ten minute halts on the march!
      Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
      Andrew Dangel,

Comment

Greetings,

I have seen and received many reproduction historic stationary from Roweclan Haversack, Glenn Rowe, who does stationary, envelopes, and stamps, &c. The last address that I have is:
        Roweclan Haversacks
        309 South Addison Road
        Addison, IL 60101
        I have the phone number also, but wasn't sure if that is allowed to post on a public forum like this???

I don't know how many books are currently out on this subject, and sometimes it's best just to see the real deal than to read a modern authors 'impression' of what he thinks an image means. Consequently, sometimes your best bet is to find a serious collector of ephemera. If you have the notion and time to spend, sometimes it pays to follow the aution houses and see what sort of collections come up for auction. Naturally, not everyone can afford to purchase antique collections, but you can easily afford to purchase the catalogues of the collection to use as a ready reference.

For instance, the Siegel Auction house sold the Confederate State Covers collection of Dr. Howard P. Green, in April 2000. Although the catalogue is old, it has afforded me the correct identification of authentic lettersheets, stamps, and envelopes. You might want to write to the auction house to see if they have old catalogues, www.siegelauctions.com or otherwise look on ebay or used bookstores. New auction catalogues generally sell for about $45, but online auctions and used bookstores sell them for much less (like ABE books) so try the online used book searches too.

It often pays to always keep looking in different places for research materials, especially from the private collector.
        Good luck
        Judith Peebles
        Mfr,
        Judith Peebles.
        No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
        [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Greetings,

With charity to all and malice toward none, Bob Sullivan does have some nice items but his level of service is--how shall I say this?--"spotty." Dealing with him is very frustrating--in the latest go-around, our first sergeant sent Bob an e-mail, along with a credit card number, approximately two months ago requesting several items and he has yet to respond.

Incidentally, after working with original documents and paper, as I often do, you'll quickly discover that the "authentic stationery" and papers currently being vended are, at best, pale imitations of their 1860's counterparts. A good (but potentially expensive) source of period paper is Twinrocker, out of Brookston IN (less than 20 minutes from where I live). Twinrocker furnished all the period-style paper for the recent film "Master and Commander":

Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Originally posted by Adjutant
          While he does not, to my knowledge, reproduce the blue lined paper, the best source IMHO for repop paper goods is Mr. Bob Sullivan of Sullivan's Press (can be found at http://www.sullivanpress.com/index.htm). He has a wide variety of period stationary styles as well as ink powder, correct pens, and stamps. I also find it quite relaxing to include one of his dime novels in my pocket for those ten minute halts on the march!
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I would agree with Drygoods in that Glenn Rowe makes fantastic envelopes and stationary and you will not be disappointed. I've made about three orders out to him and have always been completely satisfied in what I purchased. I have also bought stamps from Mr. Sullivan, but Mr. Rowe has done a remarkable job in his reprouction of them. Mail a letter to him asking for his cataloque and you'll get a book from him with over 100 envelope types and the last time I counted, about 26 different style sheets. All in all, high praise is just for Mr. Rowe.
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Working...
            X