Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal use of colored woven canteen straps

Good morning,

I need to replace the leather strap on my Bulls-eye Federal canteen with a cotton one, and was wondering if there are references or photos of Federals utilizing colored woven web straps on their canteens like the CS troops did at times?

Thank you,

Kevin Coyle
    Last edited by Tyler Gibson; 02-21-2017, 03:40 PM. Reason: added last name
    Kevin Coyle

Re: Federal use of colored woven canteen straps

Good morning,

I need to replace the leather strap on my Bulls-eye Federal canteen with a cotton one, and was wondering if there are references or photos of Federals utilizing colored woven web straps on their canteens like the CS troops did at times? The reason I am asking is that I have one of the stripped woven straps and I was wondering if it could be used until I get a replacement.

Thank you,

Kevin
    Kevin Coyle

Comment

Re: Federal use of colored woven canteen straps

Kevin,

Great question. From what I can find, a "decent" amount (relative of course) of brightly colored fabric was purchased to be used as canteen straps. A particular tri-color "patriotic" design featured two bands of blue threads woven on the outside of a white web material with the center dyed red. And order for "One inch colored cotton webbing" was placed with contractor Charles Mount on November 1, 1862. There were periodic contracts for "colored" strap material even as late as 1865. While this was definitely not NUG, you could argue it...especially if your unit had canteens issued from the PA Depot.

(Note: Reference from "US Army & Militia Canteens by Mike O'Donnell")
      Steven Dacus
      Casper, Wyoming
      11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

Working...
      X