Springfield Bayonets on the P53?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield Bayonets on the P53?

This is a bit of a silly question, but one that's wracking my brain. I read on a thread on here some time ago about the P53 bayonet not being issued to Federal troops who were issued the P53. If that's the case, and the Springfield bayonet is not supposed to be used on a P53, then what bayonet was issued? I can't find the thread that said that it is inaccurate for Federals to use the P53 bayonet, so now I am even doubting whether I saw it on here at all. Send help!
    Robert Milton

Re: Springfield Bayonets on the P53?

Surviving originals with US Army provenance suggest otherwise, in my experience. Most (truthfully all I can recall) I've seen have British bayonets. I've seen but a small number of Enfields with US bayonets; so few, in fact, as to make them the exception, not the rule, and none had clear US Army provenance that I can recall. I'm sure there are a few out there, but I i couldn't point you to one personally.
    Pat Brown

Comment

Re: Springfield Bayonets on the P53?

Don't know about US but here are two Confederate used dug muskets. One Springfield and one Enfield. One thing they have in common is that both are using M-1855 Springfield bayonets. Since Enfields were imported with the bayonets I would suspect the US had enough to issue one Enfield bayonet with each Enfield. If they didn't, the Springfield would likely fit.
      Attached Files
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
      X