Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confederate Forage Cap, is it authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Forage Cap, is it authentic?

I was looking to look into a confederate impression, and I needed to decide on a hat. The forage cap is my personal favorite cap, but i was questioning it's authenticity. I am aware that the best issued cap would be a kepi. It would be great if some one could answer this question for me.

-Hunter Tawzer
    Hunter Tawzer

Re: Confederate Forage Cap, is it authentic?

Hi Hunter,

My best recommendation to you would be to purchase a civilian hat. Look at any period image of CS soldiers and you will see that the majority are wearing civilian hats. But as always, time, place and unit will dictate the type of headwear.
    Something else to think about. When starting to build an impression, try and make it as generic as possible. If you limit your kit to a specific unit during a specific time during the war, you will limit participation at events.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

North Carolina issued forage caps...the Amzi Williamson is a great example of a mid war authentic cap.
      Don Woods
      Member ABT

Comment

Much as my contemporaries have mentioned there are many things to take into consideration. Unit, theater, when and what they were issued. But than as now it comes down to your personal preference. Each soldier wore the type of hat that he liked and served his needs. Granted most men wore some type of civilian broad brimmed hat but other soldiers wore the regulation kepi throughout the war. As many will tell you and rightly so look at the pictures of Confederate soldiers and examine in the image what type of head gear they are wearing. Attached are a couple of pictures that will help you. Both images show Confederate soldiers. One as prisoners and the other the famous picture from Frederick, Maryland.The prisoner image is identified as Confederates captured at Missionary Ridge in November 1863 possibly members of the 20th Tennessee Infantry. In both images one will see Confederate soldiers wearing kepis but they are certainly in the minority. Yet as I stated those men that are wearing them obviously chose to wear them and did.
        Attached Files
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Whoops...the OP was about forage caps not kepis. The forage caps use by Confederates was even less common than the kepi. Some real research would be necessary depending on the time and unit.
          Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed-48
            this is a test reply as user confed-48 by admin
            I can see it, Hunter... proceed. Thanks!
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
            X