Keeping Blanket Secure on Knapsack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Blanket Secure on Knapsack?

I was at a drill today, and I wore my new double-bag knapsack. While doing facings, the guys to my left and to my right received a face-full of blanket. After inspecting the problem, we all determined that the knapsack was hanging too low on my back. The shoulder straps appeared to fit properly (not too tight, but barely left me room to get the thing on). I attached the cross-straps to my belt, which helped quite a bit with the placement on my back, but the rolled blanket still drifted downwards and backwards instead of riding firmly at the top. During the summer months, I can just pack my blanket in the knapsack and put my greatcoat in storage, but it still gets fairly cold in New Mexico this time of year and I will need both. I used the search function here to find a solution, but I came up empty. I think that a short length of twine running between the blanket roll straps and the small loop between the shoulder straps should keep it in place, but is there any evidence that soldiers did that? I looked at photographs of soldiers wearing soft knapsacks, but their heads blocked my view of that area.

Michael Denisovich
    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Re: Keeping Blanket Secure on Knapsack?

Common fresh fish problem. This article shows the stick method for holding the blanket on top. http://www.26nc.org/Articles/knapsac...ket%20roll.pdf

I did that for a time, but ditched the stick and ran my blanket straps through my shoulder straps. Notice how I said blanket straps. I didn't say twine. Don't use twine. Twine is for starting fires. Use blanket straps. I generally bring four with me to any event. Two can be used for attaching things to the top of my knapsack. Uses get found for the other two like the times I forget to bring suspenders. Instant waist belt...
    Last edited by Silas; 03-11-2017, 07:27 PM. Reason: inserted link
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Running the blanket straps through the shoulder straps really makes a difference. Thank you! I tried the stick method before I created the thread, trying a small dowel I found in my house, and it felt a little weird because it pulled the blanket too much towards my head, instead of stabilizing it.

Michael Denisovich.
      Michael Denisovich

Comment

Michael, My son and I are reenactors here in Santa Fe and from your post it sounds like you are hooked up with Ft. Union. Would love to touch base with you, are you going to be at the Pecos monument on the 25th?
        Joel Nicholas
        Joel Nicholas

Comment

Private Message sent.

Michael Denisovich
          Michael Denisovich

Comment

In the main, the blanket is meant to go in the knapsack. That is what the big pocket with cross-buckles is meant for. This isn't to say blankets didn't get put on top of the knapsack, but the greatcoat was meant to be carried on the top via the straps. The aforementioned method of running the greatcoat straps through the shoulder straps still applies for keeping things centered and stable.

As I have found, however, people do what they want. So, enjoy the hobby and I hope the information presented allows for an informed decision.
            Ivan Ingraham
            AC Moderator

Comment

Double loop the blanket straps through the loops on top of the knapsack and slightly tighten. It will form a slight cushion. That's the reason the blanket straps are so long and the straps on top are so wide. Then fasten blanket on top. It will be quite secure.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Whether the blanket or the overcoat should go atop the knapsack seems to be another question best answered by "depends." Soldiers did it both ways, when they carried both. In 1863 a board studying knapsack weight recommended carrying either the greatcoat or blanket but not both. The proper way to pack the great coat, and evidence that there was still confusion, is laid out in the advice column of The United States Army and Navy Journal for December 24, 1864, by the Commandant of West Point, who states simply "The overcoat is now carried inside the knapsack."

But in the 1850s, the young Augustus Meyers saw knapsacks packed the old way, with the overcoats on top:

"There was always a rivalry among us as to who could pack
                his kit the neatest and show the fewest creases in the overcoat
                when rolled up and strapped on top of the knapsack. In this
                particular we never seemed to be able to equal the Permanent
                Party, whose overcoats were faultlessly rolled. The usual
                formula of a general inspection was carried through, as pre-
                scribed in the regulations, ending up with opening ranks, un-
                slinging and opening knapsacks and displaying our kits. The
                General and his aides-de-camp, accompanied by the command-
                ing officer and the adjutant, first inspected the band, then
                passed through the boys' opened ranks without any comments
                and on through the ranks of the Permanent Party, each of
                whom stood like a statue at the position "order arms." An of-
                ficer of the General's staff, remarking the immaculate rolling
                of many of the overcoats, tapped one of them with the scab-
                bard of his sword. It emitted a hollow sound. He asked the
                soldier what it was, and the man explained that it was a dummy
                made out of a piece of stove pipe covered with blue cloth. The
                old General noticed the incident but merely smiled as did some
                of the other officers. However, it proved to be the end of the
                dummy overcoats on parade."

"Ten Years in the Ranks, U. S. Army"
                Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

With 44 years of "Reenacting/Living History Experience, I found out years ago, that the BEST and most comfortable way, was to carry your blanket between the bags of your double bag knapsack, The blanket IS SUPPOSE to go inside the knapsack and an over coat (if carrying one) goes on top. Also as previously mentioned, when putting the over coat (or blanket) on to of your knapsack, run the straps through the should straps of the knapsack before putting it on. This will keep it stable and NOT falling backward making it "top heavy".

In this picture I am wearing my blanket inside as described. The 125th Anniversary of The Grand Review - Washington DC. Being inspected by President Johnson and General Grant at the Washington Memorial, 1990. 17th Corps, Sherman's Army of the West Notice the full field gear and worn out uniforms, exactly like Sherman's Armies wore at the Grand Review.... Click image for larger version

Name:	125th Grand Review  Weed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	225332
                  Last edited by weed; 05-11-2017, 05:25 PM.
                  John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                  The Hard Head Mess
                  The Old Northwest Volunteers
                  5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                  Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                  Sons of American Revolution
                  Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry