Bayonet Drill in French

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayonet Drill in French

Just wondering if anyone has the french commands that McClellan's bayonet drill translated. Just figured i'd ask before i got going on a translation...

Respectfully,
    Ryan McIntyre
    124th New York State Volunteers
    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
    Joseph H. Johnston
    March 16th 1863
    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
    Henry M Howell
    March 8 1863
    In camp Near Falmouth

Re: Bayonet Drill in French

Ryan,

Luckily, my 1st Lt. is well versed in the French language, so we dont need a translation, as he simply explains the upcoming commands in English first. Although, being from Louisiana and learning the basics of French in elementary school, a lot of my men can understand the language already. I wonder if the non-French speaking men of the 10th Louisiana Infantry had such a luxury. Their major was Felix Dumonteil who by accounts of one Confederate general could not speak a word of English.
    Since I dont have a copy of the French language version, and to save you long hours of translation, I found this site online that translates words and phrases, no matter the length. So simply write the English version and poof, it appears in French or whatever language you want, then print it out. It is ... http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html
    Good luck.

Comment

Hello,

My French is far better than my English so I don’t really understand what you need.
      If you search for an old French army military manual, you can try here :

It is the web site of the «*Bibliothèque nationale de France*» and you can record and download thousands of old French books from middle ages to today. A great site.
      I remember you can find here several French military manuals to download, like the year 1791 manual for the French Infantry of the Napoleonic wars, but I don’t know if you can find the one you need.

Hope this help you…
      [I]Gettysburg 1993
      Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

I believe Hardee's revised has the translated version. I don't have it with me but maybe someone could verify this. Would this be the same as well?

Mark Berrier
        North State Rifles
        combinations@northstate.net
        Mark Berrier

Comment

There is the Little Green Volume of McClellans Bayonet Drill available most everywhere. I have one and it seems to be an facsimilie reprint. In this volume, only the actual names of the "movements" if you will, are in French(but not all of them) (Tierce, passad, etc.). All the explanations thereof are in English.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

The Red River Battalions federal impression is the 165th SNY Infantry. That little book was quite handy on teaching us the bayonet drill. The hard part was teaching us Texans to say the words.
            The drill was nice but not very practical on the battlefield. However Im sure many of our forefathers would tell you about the hours they spent on bayonet drill. Then after the drill ground up their coffee beans and used the bayonet to hold their candles in.
            Dusty Lind
            Running Discharge Mess
            Texas Rifles
            BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for your posts...I actually have the little green volume of McClellan's bayonet drill. I understand that the commands such as tierce and passad are french commands, but i am looking to fill in the gaps such as what would be the command for "on the left Shorten", etc. I used the french translator that was provided, that seemed to work well, but as all things in french the translations come out backwards(as they should). I've been a french student for going on 4 years now and am curious if the commands would be given in this manner. Example...in seconde in retreat Parry, would be translated as; Dans le seconde(in seconde) dans la parade(parry) de retraite(in retreat)(notice how part of the sentence it slightly reversed). In english there is the preparatory command and then there is the execution command. In french which is which? Maybe Mr. Holloway, with your experience, can help me make ends meet.

I hope that my question is clear enough for an answer.

Thanks,
              Ryan McIntyre
              124th New York State Volunteers
              Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
              Joseph H. Johnston
              March 16th 1863
              Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
              Henry M Howell
              March 8 1863
              In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

Ryan,

It is my understanding that TRADITIONALLY you read from right to left in a number of languages, and if I am not mistaken, that includes French. Hence, the translation printed from that link would be read and spoken from right to left which would make it come out correct.
                Just to be sure, I sent an email to my 1st Lt. and I will post his answer for you. I believe the Frenchman that posted on this thread would be a good source as well since he lives there.
                You dont see enough of the French bayonet commands as I think you should, at least for early war events. At the 125th Anniversary of Manassas, VA., we went as Co. B, Tiger Rifles of Wheat's 1st Special Louisiana Battalion, and used French. Not entirely, as some of the members were originally dock workers in New Orleans from many different countries, but enough to be noticable. My belief is that if you were in New Orleans in 1860, no matter your nationality, you knew some French.
                It has been said that Drill Master (and former Sgt. in the French 2nd Regt. of Zouaves) Felix Dumonteil drilled the Orleans Guard Battalion exclusively in French, including a private named Pierre G. T. Beauregard (who had resigned in a huff over being passed over for the Adjutant General of Louisiana job in favor of Braxton Bragg.)
                Sorry for the lengthy dissertation on the use of French in the Army, but simply trying to convey how prevalent the language was, therefore the high probablity of the widespread use of the French commands in bayonet drill. I dont think it was limited to the Louisiana units since McClellan himself acquired that knowledge from a visit to France and the likelihood that the two time commander of the Federal Army would make his own teachings a standard requirement. Wonder how much he got for each volume sold? :)

Comment

Working...
                X