Hello all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have some questions. First though, I'd like to thank the moderators for adding me. I've been following the AC on their FB page for about a year now, and decided to take the next step and try the boards. Anyway, my name is Tom News, and I live just south of Philadelphia, Pa. I am a Union reenactor in a very good group and I enjoy the company of the people in it very much. I have no intention of cutting loose from them. I am however looking to take my reenactor experience to the "next level", at least on occasion, so here goes

So, what does the AC experience entail? I have my full kit from Regimental Quartermaster, and it serves me well for what I use it for. I also have a hand made Confederate uniform from a woman named Dotty Miller that I haven't had out in years. I see the prices of the uniforms and equipment approved on the webpage and ask myself what is unique to the AC experience that justifies the added expense/ I'm not trying to be argumentative or come across from the "good enough" side of things. I bought what I could afford at the time, and it serves me well, but it was always with the intention of upgrading at some point. Maybe the time is now.

I see from the webpage also there are members of The Stonewall Brigade near me. If anyone would like to contact me direct I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to your input.

Yours,

Tom News
    jager83@yahoo.com
    Thomas News

Re: Hello all

First and foremost: welcome!
    I got into the authentic side of the force when I was in college. Being a poor college student, I got the majority of my gear used off of the Facebook trade blankets and at trade sales at the events I attended. You don't need all the cool accessories or goodies; build a good foundation by starting with upgrading the basics of your main impression. Only after doing that did I start branching out. Just my two cents worth from my own experience. As to justifying campaigning, this hobby has a tagline: you get out what you put in.

All the best.
    Dillan Lee
    "Exodus 15:3: The Lord is a man of war"
    Jasper Greens Mess / SCAR

Comment

Well thank you, Dillan. I will keep all that in mind.

Tom News
      Thomas News

Comment

MOD HAT ON

Hello, Tom! Thanks for posting... I have moved your thread to the Camp of Instruction for our newcomers to benefit from your questions. Have fun and see you in the field soon!
        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 05-30-2017, 08:23 AM.
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thank you, Johnny.
          Thomas News

Comment

Tom-

I'd echo what Dillon said and expect most AC members would say the same. Many of us started the hobby in more mainstream groups and found it didn't give us quite what we were looking for in reenacting. The transition definitely takes time and is really a never-ending process, since there's always something more you can do to improve your impression. Much of the transition is more about mindset and commitment to research than it is about shelling out money for the best gear from the best suppliers. There are several great articles on here about inexpensive ways to improve your impression and you can indeed go far with "good enough" gear as long as you're taking steps to improve the other parts of your impression. Never quite being satisfied with your impression and always striving to better portray the soldiers of the period is a truer mark of a campaigner than the number of stitches per inch on their jacket.

I'm the current commander of the Stonewall Brigade and we do indeed have some members in your neck of the woods, although the bulk of our manpower is in northern Virginia. Feel free to check out our website (stonewallbrigade.net) and if you'd be interested in falling in with us sometime, let me know.
            Last edited by a_williams63; 02-17-2023, 05:27 PM.
            Capt. Austin J. Williams
            Company A "The Marion Rifles"
            5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
            The Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hi Tom, glad you are enjoying the forum. I really like and appreciate your question because I often think that many others might be asking the same thing.
              Let me start by first addressing your questions about uniforms and gear.
              What sets uniforms apart is the quality of material. We look for things such as the type of weave, weight and how the material was dyed. When looking at a garment we look to see if a correct pattern was used for that specific garment and how it was put together. Having an entirely hand sewn garment is ideal in most cases, but sometimes there are exceptions. For example a Peter Tait CS jacket would have been entirely machine sewn with the exception of the button holes. The only catch is was it done with a modern machine or original. Yes, you can tell the difference.
              With shoes construction and pattern are huge. You can spot a bad pair of shoes from a mile away. They typically won't hold together nearly as long either.
              Hats are another big one. You are looking for a properly blocked and constructed hat (if wearing a civilian style) This means properly formed out of correct material to a period style it will have a bound brim, lining and sweat band inside as well.
              With accoutrements you want iron dyed leather and sewn together using appropriate methods for the item with correct thread. All leather pieces should be cut from a die on a clicker. Meaning they shouldn't be cut by hand.
              That is kinda the rough and dirty explaination and I am sure others might be able to give you much more detailed information on items and different things to look for.
              As to the experience, you get out of it what you put into it.
              When doing more authentic events you can expect to perform all manner of duties that were expected of a soldier in the19th century. This may include all night picket duty, being issued period correct rations, performing various fatigue duties. This can include a number of things like digging trenches or sinks, (yes we use them), gathering fire wood, cooking, or building breastworks. You will see company NCOS, officers and battalion staff filling out all appropriate paperwork. Forms for morning reports, guard mount ration requisitions are some of these. You might even see after action reports being drafted in the field.
              You can expect to be hot, cold, tired and down right miserable at times.
              You will find officers and NCOS acting like they are supposed to and sometimes this might mean yelling.
              You can expect to be hot, cold, wet and down right miserable at times. But this is all part of the experience.
              We can never truly recreate the suffering that these men went through. But we can come close by doing a lot of what I have mentioned and suffering a little in the field ourselves.
              I discovered a long time ago that when going to events I will never be truly comfortable, but what I do and those around me do can make it enjoyable. Remember, mind over matter!

I hope that this will help you in some way and hope that you will consider coming out to experience the dark side some time.

Oh! One more thing!
              We use ramrods and bayonets.
              Tyler Underwood
              Pawleys Island #409 AFM
              Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Welcome Tom! Thank you for following us on Facebook and the best of luck to you on your journey to authenticity! You won't regret it!
                ERIC TIPTON
                Former AC Owner

Comment

Thank you all. It does sound like I've come to the right place. Immersion sounds like what I'm looking for. Austin I will be in touch soon. Are any of you coming to the Gettysburg event July 1-3?Tyler thanks for the overview. Sounds very enticing.

Yours,

Tom News
                  Thomas News

Comment

Working...
                  X