Newbie Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here

Hello! First and foremost, I would like to thank the mods for accepting me into the AC Forums, secondly, I am completely as new as it gets. I will be participating in my first Reenactment event at Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit, MI this weekend. I've only been to two reenactment events thus far. My first one was back in 2013 in Chehalis, WA, and the most recent this past Memorial Day Weekend at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI. I've always been fascinated by Military History, and took a keen interest in the Civil War. So, why not get more into it?

I've recently begun my individual research to create an impression, and have read "Into The Tornado Of War" which documents the 21st Michigan Vol. Inf. through the Western Theater from Perryville, through Bentonville. My next read will be of the Eastern Theater on Michigan Regiments at Antietam.

The Unit I've joined up with is the 21st Michigan Vol. Inf. out of the Detroit Area, and generally am requesting some insight from you experienced members. I plan on building my impression, piece by piece, (Finances Permitting) So far, the only things I''ve picked up a pair of Fugawee Brogans, I have heard they are of decent quality/relatively correct/comfortable and within budget compared to going straight up for a Missouri Boot and Shoe Brogan. I have also gone ahead an ordered a 1858 Canteen from Blockade Runner. (I know to generally stay away from Big Name Sutlers, but have read that their Canteen is atleast one of the better ones on the Market), so, if you do not mind, I have a few questions:

I'm at a crossroads of either purchasing a Sack Coat from Wambaugh, or Daley, or go big on a Frock Coat from N.J. S3K4LA (I know it blots out the name, hope you do not mind the numbers) Which would be advised to purchase first? Other than that, Any suggestions on what to order next? If so, from which Vendor? Also, any guidance on Books/Articles on research would be great as well! Thank you!
    Very Respectfully,
    LS2(AW) Zachary Kirby, USN
    21st Michigan Volunteer Infantry

Re: Newbie Here

Welcome to the AC! Are you coming out to Michigan from the Cleveland area? I was at Greenfield Village as the battalion Adjutant. To bad we didn't get to meet there. Generally, we try to avoid who makes the best X item on here. That said I am sending you a PM with some information that should help guide you. Tornado of War is a wonderful book! Really look at the photos of the 21st in there to see what a civil war soldier should look like. Beyond that, read Corporal Si Klegg and His Pard and Hardtack and Coffee. Those are must reads to understand the daily life of our impressions.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Based on feedback throughout this forum and from folks in my unit, I would avoid buying directly from Daley. You may never see your item. Regimental Quartermaster will sometimes have the Daley coats in stock in the Campaigner section of their website.

You can't go wrong with the Wambaugh coats.

My personal recommendation would be to work on getting your shirt, socks, pants, suspenders, sack coat and hat first. Then get your canteen, cup, haversack, plate, utensils and toothbrush. After that, get your waist belt, cartridge box, cap pouch, bayonet and scabbard. Next, your knapsack, blanket and poncho / ground cloth. Lastly, your weapon.

If you want to save some money, there is a lot of good, used gear out there. This site, of course, has some good deals on it, but, if you find used stuff elsewhere that you're interested in, make sure you run those items by the senior members of your unit.

Hope this helps!
      Kent Baxley

Comment

Jeremy,

Thank you for the PM. I'll be sure to add "Hardtack and Coffee" to my Amazon Cart!

I was at GFV on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, I had not been there since I was in Middle School, so I figured why not? I am headed to Michigan to Historic Fort Wayne tonight from just south of Cleveland (Hopefully the Traffic from the Cav's game doesn't slow things down). I'm originally from St. Clair, MI, and seeing as I'm on Shore Duty here in Ohio, I take the opportunity to head home as much as I can.
        Very Respectfully,

Comment

Mr. Kirby,

Welcome to the forums. Relatively new guy here myself. The mods and older members of the forum may chime in a bit later, but I'll start the ball rollin' here.

Firs thing first, use the SEARCH feature on this site for any questions you may have regarding makers, uniforms, equipment, typology, and really anything else. This site's been around for a while, and there are a LOT of threads, some very unit or item specific. Take your time and go through it.

Second, use the LINKS tab for how-to's and general guides. Some of these links go way back and a few are even dead, but comb through it to see what gold you can find. My personal favorite is Silas' Reenacting Links, especially for referencing digital drill manuals.

Third, before you buy a thing, and you'll hear this a lot, is DO YOUR RESEARCH. Use the search feature, grab a book or two, or even hop on Facebook, but do the research before you buy.

For instance: you're trying to decide whether or not to buy a sack coat or a frock coat. Both vendors are reputable, so the next question to answer is what was more common? Sack coats were issued widely, and while frock coats were also not uncommon, you may get more mileage out of a good sack coat. A general rule is to construct an impression that is as generic as possible. That way you not only represent the common soldier more accurately, but can also stretch your kit much farther than a unit specific impression. And if unit specific items are required, you have less to buy.

Lastly, I would suggest making it a point to attend one or two authentic and/or immersion events a year, time permitting. While mainstream events are fun for a while, events put on by those who care greatly for historical accuracy often provide living historians with the opportunity to flex themselves and try new things. You're surrounded by guys and gals who have a deep passion for this time period, which often results in the event having more character and "pizzazz" than the more traditional outings.

Oh, and if your a more visual learner, the Civil War Digital Digest is doing some great work with their analysis and instructional videos. I highly recommend you supplement your research with a few of their videos. I believe they even did a video on the Federal sack coat with Brian White, of WW&Co. fame.

Hope this helps get ya goin'.
          James Peli

Comment

Kent,

Thank you very much for the response. I've been scouring around this site for a few weeks, creeping in the shadows. I'll be keeping an eye out for kit on the "For Sale" side of the forums. I greatly appreciate the input!

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Peli,

Thank you. Research is key, I whole heartedly agree with you there. From Original Photo's, and from after reading "Into The Tornado Of War", it shows that generally appearance was a hodge podge of the Soldiers' individual preference, from Frocks and Sacks, to even Jackets, with mixtures of headwear from Slouch's, Hardee's, and Forage Caps. Regardless, I just need to dig more into the forums and throughout the fantastic internet. Attached is a well know photograph of the 21st MI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21stMI.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	225363
            Last edited by MIKirby; 06-09-2017, 12:27 PM.
            Very Respectfully,

Comment

Couldn't view the link. PM a mod and see if they can't sort that out for ya.

I'll echo Jeremy's suggestion for Hardack and Coffee, and CPL. Si Klegg, and I'd add The Life of Billy Yank but Bell Irving Wiley to that list as well.

One thing I forgot to mention when talking about going to authentic events was that while you can read about being cold and how the cooked rations and carried their gear, nothing truly beats first hand experience. Trial and error is key to developing a fantastic impression. And a little road dust.

Also, of all the equipment you'll be looking to buy, don't skimp on developing a good field cleaning kit. One thing my early exposure to mainstream reenacting instilled in me was a fear of a dirty rifle. Some "campaigners" like to leave their rifle a little rough around the edges, but if you're dropping good money buying a quality arm, or borrowing someone else's rifle, you won't wanna let it rot from neglect.
              James Peli

Comment

Mr. Peli,

Hopefully I got the image above rectified. Also, I will be sure to add those to my list of: "To-Read". Taking care of firearms is important, I fully agree on that. (Thanks, Uncle Sam) Courtesy of others, and how one treats each others equipment goes a very long way. My first event takes place tonight, and I am very much so looking forward to the weekend endeavor. In the future, I may blow off my plans to return to my hometown for the 4th of July, and beat feet over to Gettysburg to see how things go there.

I greatly appreciate any and all advice and suggestions. It helps give me a starting point, and gain momentum from there.
                Very Respectfully,

Comment

Good drawers cannot (or at least should not) be seen, but they really help. If they fit well and are sewn well, they are comfortable and do not tear while kneeling or bending over or squatting. At night, they keep you warm. And you should probably buy your own, instead of looking for loaners for drawers
                  Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
                  Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Working...
                  X