Chaplain uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaplain uniforms

I have been ask to do an alteration on a chaplains frock. When completed, the sleeves will be to short. There is no extra fabric to lengthen, so considering making cuffs, possibly of velvet? Would this be considered HA? Would he have been considered an officer that would have permission to get custom coats?

Robin Cordek
    Robin Cordek

Re: Chaplain uniforms

I'm currently starting a chaplain impression myself. In doing my research, although the army did post chaplain uniform regulations, there are many pictures as well a writtings from the period showing that many chaplains wore the regular army officer uniform and some were modified, just like officers of the day would do. Chaplains held the rank of captain, and received the same pay and benefits of a calvery captain, but the rank was in name only, it did not have the same authority as a reguler commissioned officer.
    Roger Marsh
    Chaplain
    10th Michigan V.I.

Comment

Re: Chaplain uniforms

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch Davis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	225412Click image for larger version

Name:	CH Louis Beaudry, 5th NY Cavalry.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	225413Click image for larger version

Name:	CH Quinn.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	225414Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaplain Lyle.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	225415Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaplain.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	225416Click image for larger version

Name:	qm-6413_frock-coat_chaplain_m1864_chest_s.jpg
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	225417

Uniform and Chaplain are relative terms. There were Regulations as you know, that were somewhat vague, and as Roger mentions, some even wore regular officer uniforms. I dont' have it where I could find it, but I have another of a Chaplain who looks just like a line officer, saber and all.
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
      X