Uniform question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform question

Looking for help concerning union chaplain uniforms. I know the black frock with stand up collar and 9 buttons in accordance with the 1861 orders. Question is could or would this uniform have been made custom as he would have been considered a officer?? Say, different cuffs,or pockets than issued frocks--
    Robin Cordek

Re: Uniform question

Chaplains provided their own clothing, some of them mirrored uniform regulations, some of them preferred an almost civilian look, depending on their own tastes.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Did research on this a few years back. Regulations called for the black frock and trousers, but as in all things, you find variation from the rules. There are photos of Chaplains, early on especially who wore Captain's uniforms, the reasoning being as I understood it that they were paid the same rate as Cavalry captains. I even found a photo of a Chaplain who was almost indistinguishable from a line officer to include saber, but clearly not within Army Regulations. I also found variations in headgear; some wearing forage caps or Kepis with staff officer insignia, and some with a variety of brimmed hats.
      Some of the variations I found; Group of Chaplains at Petersburg and note all different takes on the uniform frock, Chaplain Vogel of 61st NY and CH Michael Allen of the 5th PA cavalry;
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaplains-Civil-War at Petersburg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	225388Click image for larger version

Name:	Henry Vogel 61st NY.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	225389Click image for larger version

Name:	Michael Allen.png
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	225390
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Thank you for the help! Is there a meaning behind the 9 buttons that is known?
        Robin Cordek

Comment

Generally speaking, nine buttons in one row means line officer.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
          X