Texas Brigade Drill Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Brigade Drill Manual

When the Texans came east and sworn into Confederate service, what drill manual was used to train them?
    Randy Lucas
    "Fear not for I am with thee; say to the North give up, and to the South, keep not back." Isiah 43:6-7
    Engraved upon the finial on the flagstaff of the battle flag of the 4th Texas Infantry
    Co. I, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade, ANV.

Re: Texas Brigade Drill Manual

Originally posted by ClintonWinkler View Post
    When the Texans came east and sworn into Confederate service, what drill manual was used to train them?
    Most likely SCOTT'S, GILHAM'S or HARDEE'S 1855/1861 :confused_

I have HOODS TEXAS BRIGADE: LEE'S GRENADIER GUARD by Simpson but the only mention I saw skimming thru was during the first winter in Virginia they studied "HARDEE'S tactics and other manuals" which isn't a great help. You may luck into a mention in a memoir or someone on here that's lucked into one.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Hallo!

I have not (yet) seen documentation that speaks to which.

IMHO, Simpson was filling in a blank with inference to the available manuals of the time and not documenting with an historical citation or reference.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

You may have some luck searching letters or personal papers from the period by company and field grade officers. For my own unit, the Stonewall Brigade, some of our members discovered mentions of Brigade officers acquiring copies of Gilham's manual early in the work. In one, a captain of the 5th Virginia ask his brother, who was home on leave, to ""Go to Leiut. Mesmer's house & tell his wife that Bud Newton said send him Gilums [sic] drill book." The 33rd Virginia sent an officer to Richmond in August 1861 to purchase copies of Gilham's Manual and the Army Regulations from the Richmond publishers West & Johnston for several Brigade officers (including General Jackson, who apparently didn't need Gilham's but requested army regulations. This research is contained here. Hopefully you can find something similar for the Texas Brigade. Good luck with your hunt!
        Capt. Austin J. Williams
        Company A "The Marion Rifles"
        5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
        The Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
        X