Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal First Lieutenant

Originally posted by john duffer View Post
    Then my humble suggestion is for every hour spent studying the uniform spend four hours studying drill and learning bugle calls. :D
    A worthy reminder that building a believable impression goes beyond mere appearances.

The analogy I've used in the past is that a solid impression is a like a three-legged stool whose legs are:

1. Visual Impression
    The superficial appearance of uniforms, arms and other material culture. I would also include how you wear your uniform and equipment, groom your hair and facial hair, your age and condition. Superficial appearance is where many focus first, and often do not progress further.

2. Functional Impression
    The knowledge of tactics and the specific duties of how your rank functions within it, the general duties of that rank in camp, field or garrison. Study the manuals, read the regulations, familiarize yourself with the customs of service. Prepare yourself to be able to functionally serve in the next rank immediately above yours in the event of promotion.

3. First Person Impression
    The ability to convincingly interact with others within the 19th Century/military setting. So few are able to function in this realm for an extended period. Study the history of the unit you portray. Know the prior civilian life of your character and understand his regional viewpoint, customs and lifestyle. Study period and appropriate regional dialect and expressions. Be able to interact in a natural and appropriate way for your character without being stilted and making unnecessary references to the study you have done.

All three are important and need to be developed and strengthened to support the impression you are building. Ignore one, and the impression is unsteady. Focus on only one, and the impression soon falls over.

Remember, as an officer all eyes are upon you and you can't simply blend in to the crowd. How you look, function and interact will have a direct influence on how others conduct themselves.
    Last edited by CompanyWag; 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM.
    Paul McKee

Comment

Re: Federal First Lieutenant

Awesome advice! Thanks Paul! I will definitely work to acquire the "three legged stool" into my every impression!
      Timothy Hallman
      Trans-Miss Hellcat

"What does the Bully 4th say?”
      “HIT EM AGAIN! HIT EM AGAIN! HIT EM AGAIN!”

"Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson

Comment

Working...
      X