Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning as Authentic?

Good Afternoon, folks!

First post here, but I've been lurking for a few weeks, soaking up all the information and wisdom I can. I was a Confederate drummer boy/limberman for an artillery battery when I was a kid in the early 90s, and loved it. Fast forward and I'm 33, still nuts about history in general and the Civil War in particular, and with [some] disposable income to get back into the hobby.

I'm falling in with a group that seems to take this thing seriously and has an emphasis on authenticity. I'm buying slowly and with research/guidance, and will be joining them for our first outing next weekend.

I guess I have a question and a possible topic for discussion. The question would be how to best portray an authentic impression (KY Confederate dismounted Calvary) when you don't have a jacket, a weapon or traps beyond a canteen? My group is going to loan me some stuff to get through the weekend, but I don't want to blow the impression by standing around without the basic gear a trooper would have had. Plus, I'll be clueless as to drill aside from what I can pick up by feverishly reading Hardee's, etc. What do you folks generally have new guys do to keep the overall impression true and correct as they're getting their kit and their knowledge up to speed? Hospital steward? Shirker under guard? In other words, how do I keep it authentic and not blow it for my new pards?

This leads to the possible discussion topic: how realistic is it for me to want to hit the ground running and fit in with you folks here? Is it better to "ease into" the hobby by going mainstream and then transition to authentic/progressive/campaigner? My heart is where this forum and its people are: I'm not looking to throw on a pair of Kersey wool Federal Trousers and a butternut jacket from sutler's row and then drink beer around the campfire. I want to honor what these men did, but the more I look at the realistic situation (and the cost!) of keeping it 100% authentic, I almost feel I'm setting myself up for failure. I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments, and I apologize for rambling a bit. Thanks for having me here!

Sam Bailey
    3rd Battalion Kentucky Mounted Rifles [Provisional]
    Sam Bailey

Re: Beginning as Authentic?

Many of us did it - no reason you can't. find a unit that will train you in putting together your impression, from clothing to attitude. I was lucky in that I wondered into a reenactment as a specatator and James Owens stepped out of the crowd and asked if I wanted to join the army. Having a mentor really helps - I never spent a dime on crap and never cracked a drill book written after 1865. He wouldn't let me. There are many excellent units out there and all you need is the right attitude, they will help you do the rest.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hello sir,

This is my first year of reenacting, and even though I'm with a mainstream group, I haven't let it stop me from trying to make my kit and impression the best I possibly can. Is it difficult? I wouldn't call it difficult, I just try my best to carry myself the way a Virginian of the period would. I make many mistakes, but I feel that I'm progressing bit by bit. Luckily my group has some great folks who yearn for progression as well, and they've helped me a lot. The key for me so far has been to try to avoid bad habits and reenactorisms, while striving to do my best to mentally place myself in the 1860's as much as I can. I believe it's better to start off progressively, as it avoids potential farbisms and introduces you to the side of the hobby that will more closely allow you to experience what the original men experienced. Just my .02 cents though, as a new member of the hobby who still has yet to experience its best.
      Robert M. Farley
      24th VA Inf. (New River Rifles)

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"
      - Thomas J. Jackson

Ancestors of Note:

Pvt. James R. Farley- Co. I, 60th VA Inf. C.S.A (3rd Great Uncle)

Comment

No one is perfect their first year. At my first event, my uniform had a ZIPPER!
        The most important part of your kit is your attitude. Just jump in!

Your kit priorities are (in order):
        Shoes
        Hat
        Jacket
        Blanket

These are the most visible pieces of your impression.
        Avoid buying junk gear just because it is cheap... that always leads to regret!

Start sewing now if you want to really save money! Hem a handkerchief, then make some poke sacks, then try a haversack. Then you're ready to make a shirt, and so on...
        The money you save will be like getting your musket for free.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I'd say if you have an authentic group that is willing to help you and loan you stuff, stick with them. That's what we do in our group, we have plenty of quality loaner gear, and encourage guys to just borrow stuff until they can get set up themselves. My concern in starting out with mainstreamers quite honestly is learning bad habits and enjoying yourself. I say that, because I started out with authentics for a year, moved across the country and only found mainstreamers. Honestly it almost drove me out of the hobby until we found like minded folks and founded our current group. Frankly I just was unhappy in the hobby during that time and my son almost quit completely. Find like minded guys who will help you out, you'll enjoy it more.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

These are all good suggestions but I've always thought that if a guy has the right attitude and desire to improve then he's worth overlooking his kit and to help him out as much as possible.
            Brian Baird

Comment

Gentlemen:

Thank you so much for the posts and encouragement! I believe I've picked up at least an idea of the right attitude to have by lurking here, and will endeavor to keep it. Just bit the bullet and ordered a commutation jacket from Richmond Depot (thank God for credit cards!) More importantly, I took some of the funds I was planning on throwing at a knapsack and accoutrements, and have instead ordered some books. The attitude I want to have is research, research, research!

Sam Bailey
              Sam Bailey

Comment

Working...
              X