Making tent tensioner ropes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making tent tensioner ropes

I have a used shelter tent that did not come with tensioner ropes. The tent did come with tree limbs cut for the ridge pole and uprights.

I have rope and the wood dog bones but an not sure what length to make the ropes

Thanks
    Anthony Melillo
    Anthony Melillo

Re: Making tent tensioner ropes

A shelter tent you wouldn't need rope tensioners at all. Run the rope through the grommet at the peak (with a knot so it doesn't pull through) and tie it around a stake pounded in the ground 2-3 feet out. Could also just loop over the top of the pole instead of through the grommet.

If you have a ridgepole you don't really need the guide ropes for a shelter tent. If you have guideropes you don't really need the ridgepole.

Keep in mind a shelter tent came in two halves so two soldiers would each carry a half. "Complete" shelter carried on the back of you and a pard. Less is more.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Re: Making tent tensioner ropes

Ah, now it makes sense. I have been reenacting for three years but could not afford a tent until now.
      I just borrowed one at events.

I need to unfold the shelter tent again. I dried it out and do not remember seeing grommets at the peak.
      There were buttons where the two halves attached together. But I do not remember seeing the grommets

Thank you very much for the help
      Anthony Melillo
      Anthony Melillo

Comment

Working...
      X