Drawers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawers

Please forgive the rather delicate nature of this question. To keep my sons warm for the Struggle for Statehood, I handstitched some of Pat Kline's fine canton flannel into drawers. Using Charlie Childs' drawers pattern, there's a gap in the front similar to the opening between two parentheses (). Is it appropriate to add another button halfway down from the top? Are there originals with different configurations? Any advice?

Looking forward to grandchildren someday...

Re: "Pinchy" Drawers

If you wear your shirt tucked into your drawers then you alleviate the problem of not having a button there. I have seen both issue drawers and sanitary commission patterns that do not have buttons, but then there were also pairs that did have buttons. It all depends upon which original you are reproducing.
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Kathy,
      I bought the same flannel and pattern but have not gotten around to making mine yet. However, I did purchase a fine set of flannel drawers from CJ Daley (A Fine sutler of CW wares) and his do indeed also have the exposed front. It was told to me by someone more learned than I in the matters of historic clothing that at that time, the current thinking was, it was more sanitatry (sanitary being a very gray area at that time) to keep your privates as free and unencumbered as possible, hence the wide open gap. Tucking ones shirt in front certainly solves the problem, but as I understand it, it was done on purpose.
      Just my two cents.
      Vive la Compagnie
      Charlie Spickler
      Co. I Mess
      CWPT Member

Comment

Kathy has hit on the age old conundrum of all authentic drawer owners and the reason we are all fond of long tailed shirts. That is a good solution if one does not want to modify the garment by adding a button to ward off drafts, wool/privates contact (ouch) and inadvertant period flashing when wading the river with trousers carried on your head.

Interestingly, the French pattern import drawers sold by Chris Daley have less of a gap. One would not think the French would worry about such things :D
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Thank you, all. Chris Daley's French drawers certainly look well made, as do all his things.

I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Drawers

I am looking a pair of authentic drawers to wear this spring..naturally I won't want the flannel which for me will be way to hot this spring. Any recommendations on something light to make them out of?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Re: Drawers

Gentlemen,

I was about to make post on the same subject as the latter of this post. I was curious, what various sorts of cloth have you all seen on original drawers. All I have ever seen has been the common flannel. Has anyone ever seen ticking used? I was also curious about cotton drill. Any help would be great.
              [FONT=Georgia][FONT=Georgia]Very Respectfully,
              Charlie Gerkin
              Rah Virginia Mil '11
              Tar Water Mess-GHTI
              VMI CWRT[/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Canton flannel really isn't that uncomfortable to wear in the summer as long as it doesn't get into the 90's, as it does a good job of wicking the sweat away from your body.
                Bob Clayton
                [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
                Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
                [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Underdrawers material options

We are all aware that union issue drawers were, in the main, manufactured primarily of Canton Flannel. However, what other materials can be documented as being used for a lighter weight underdrawers, particularly private purchase and import garments. In the CONFEDERATE SKETCHBOOK, the extant drawers from which the book's pattern is derived are mentioned as being made of a plain weave cotton material. Anyone have any suggestions? Curt,Nick, or Hank, are you out there? Thanks in advance.
                  Michael Semann
                  AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Re: Underdrawers material options

Michael,
                    Actually they weren't "mainly" made from canton flannel but a large variety of materials. Some of the materials I've run across in various property books and other sources have been:

"Linen" (29th PVI QM issue)
                    "Osnabrig" (1859 pre-war issue - 10th Inf. in the Utah Territory)
                    "Cotton" (various QM references)
                    "Muslin" (various QM references)
                    "Wool" (1859 pre-war issue - Arty Bty in the Utah Territory - warm but ouch!)

...and for civilian, in addition to the above...

Silk (I used to own a pair of dated silk drawers IDed to an 1862 owner - I imagine they were very comfy)

These are just the ones that jump to the front of my memory. Hope this helps.

Best,

Comment

Silk (I used to own a pair of dated silk drawers IDed to an 1862 owner - I imagine they were very comfy)

Interesting, was it raw silk or more refined? I'd like to find something besides muslin for civy drawers. Have a pair of the canton flannel variety.
                      [FONT=Century Gothic]Robert Swartz[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black]"A soldier would grumble in heaven"![/FONT]
                      [FONT=Century Gothic]Ovando J. Hollister, 1st Colorado Volunteers[/FONT]

Comment

It was refined silk. They were way too small for me to try on but I imagine they were a joy to wear. I traded them off for bigger and better things years ago.

They were IDed but I never bothered to research the owner (civilian). I'll wager he was filthy stinking rich.

Cheers.

Comment

Gents,

I have a suggestions, somehwat inside a question.

In my search for substitutes for heavy canton flannel, I will run across a lighter woven cotton fabric. "Chamois" as it is labeled, is what I normally find, which is a much lighter ( it does come in heavier weights) 100% cotton fabric than Canton Flannel, but similar in construction. (Appears woven on one side and napped on the other) Did this lighter napped cotton fabric exist at the time? This, I have yet to discover. I have made one pair of drawers out of the material, and it is quite strong, and significantly cooler.

Just a thought as to an alternative.
                          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Thank you greatly for the info on materials called for/used. Unlike other period garments,I haven't made a study of period underclothes, and my knowledge of the subject has gone somewhat neglected. This information widens my options considerably.
                            Michael Semann
                            AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Linen is cooler, and if it's woven tightly, it's quite sturdy. The first drawers I made were out of 99 cent a yard Jo-Ann's unbleached muslin. Although all the stress areas were double reinforced, they lasted only about 300 hours before they wore completely through both layers. According to my son, the canton flannel (thanks, Pat Kline) ones I made him this winter are much stronger.

How common was linen or linen/cotton blend for our time? Was there a prevalence North or South? Drawers or shirts? I know this has been discussed in the past, but I don't remember the demographics.

Thank you,

Comment

Working...
                              X