Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drawers

Hi,

Lt. James Gillette writing to his family from the Shenandoah Valley VA, 4 August 1862:

"[Send me] 2 thin and fine white cotton or linen shirts without bosoms (like Father's) and with long tails; 2 pair very thin cotton or linen drawers, home-made, so that they will not rip to pieces. I have resolved never to have anything but cotton or linen next my flesh hereafter."

Source: Bird, Harrison K. Jr. "Parcels from Home to a Soldier, 1861-1865." Military Collector & Historian, Spring 1962, p. 1-5.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Period Underwear

I hope this is the correct forum to post this in. If not, then my apologies. Im just curious as to what the typical soldier wore as underwear. Did they wear one piece long johns with the escape hatch in the rear, and if so, where can I find correct "drawers"?

Your Obedient Servant;

Ben Lenchner
      Pvt.
      97th Penn. Vol. Inf. Co. "A"

With respect, this is the sort of question that is a little more "101" than the AC forum is really intended for.
      [FONT="Georgia"][I]Your Obedient Servant,

Ben Lenchner
      Pvt.
      97th Penn. Vol. Inf., Co. A[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Re: Period Underwear

If you check the Approved Vendors list, you'll find that quite a few of them sell this item. One picture is worth a thousand words.
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X