Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arming Ohio Part I

Hi Folks,

Thank you James, you've saved me poor fingers some. :)

I don't have the page with the 1st through 26th. Looked in the three boxes of photocopies I have four times now, don't know what happened to it, but cant find it.

James, would very much appreciate it, and you could save me a trip to the library, if you would consider furnishing those.

I would be very glad to share the 1st and 2nd OVM articles Todd, pretty neat stuff, will start working on typing those out.

Regards,

John
    John Sarver
    John Sarver

Comment

Andrew,

It has been a while since I have looked at Robert Pinn's stuff, so if I can I will look and see what all they have and send you a deatiled list, or some photos. I know the Massillon Museum or the Ohio Military Museum has his Congressional Medal of Honor on display.

John,

I will be looking forward to seeing any and all of the Ohio information that you may have to post.
      Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
      Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
      Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Kathy and Andrew - Here's what I found in the Ordnance Summaries. They're broken down by quarters that correspond to the calendar year: 1st quarter ends March 31, 2nd quarter ends June 30, etc. The lists that have been transcribed so far reflect what a unit had at the end of December 1862. For example, the 104th OVI mustered into service at the end of August 1862 and received Austrian Lorenz muskets. In November 1862, the regiment drew Enfields. These Summaries pick up where the Executive Documents left off.

1st Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 48 Enfield rifle muskets, Company F - 64 Enfield rifle muskets plus 1 Austrian Lorenz, 54 cal.

49th OVI, Company K - 47 Springfield muskets lumped in the category of M1855, M1861, NA (National Armory, i.e. Harpers Ferry?), and contract.

2nd Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 47 Colt Revolving Rifles with triangular bayonets plus 6 Enfields. Company F - 56 Colt Revolving Rifles with triangular bayonets and 12 Enfields

49th OVI, Company K - 45 Enfields

3rd Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 24 Colt Revolving Rifles, Company F - 33 Colt Revolving Rifles plus 12 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 45 Enfields

5th USCT 82 M1842 smoothbore muskets and 22 smoothbore Austrian/Prussian/French muskets caliber 69 to 72. (The Summary has these arms all in one category). The 5th USCT also had .69 caliber cartridge boxes, elongated ball.

4th Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 26 Colt Revolving Rifles and 2 Enfields. Company F - 29 Colt Revolving Rifles and 9 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 14 Enfields

5th USCT: 627 Springfield rifle muskets, M1855, M1861,M1863 plus .58 caliber cartridge boxes.

1st Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 54 Enfield rifle muskets, Company F - 58 Enfield rifle muskets.

49th OVI, Company K - 14 Enfields

5th USCT - 677 Springfield rifle muskets (models listed as above)

2nd Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 41 Enfield rifle muskets, Company F - 51 Enfield rifle muskets and 2 Springfield rifle muskets (a described above)

49th OVI, Company K - 26 Springfield rifle muskets.

5th USCT- 414 Springfields

27th USCT - 531 Enfield rifle muskets

3rd Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 35 Enfields. Company F - 1 Springfield and 27 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 17 Springfields

5th USCT - 594 Springfields

27th USCT - 491 Springfields and 217 Enfields. These were dispersed throughout the companies. In other words, a company would have both Enfields and Springfields.

4th Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 1 Springfield and 26 Enfields. Company F - 1 Springfield and 35 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 17 Springfields

5th USCT - 654 Springfields.

27th USCT - 491 Springfields and 217 Enfields.

The Summaries end at this point. It would be interesting to compare these Summaries against the company's muster rolls just to get an idea of strengths and losses. If these Summaries really do reflect unit strength, I think it's interesting how the USCTs tend to remain at much higher manning levels than the white units. Company K had 17 Springfields and the average USCT company was about 4 times that size.

Anyway, I hope you find this information useful.
        James Brenner

Comment

117th OVI - 920 French rifle muskets, 69 cal.
          Fascinating. Now, what exactly is a French rifle musket, 69 cal.?

Linda Trent
          great granddaughter of a member
          of the 117th OVI/1st OHA
          Linda Trent
          [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
          It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

James,
            Again thank you for the information. Where might I find the muster rolls? I too would love to see them. All I have is the regimental roster.

Andrew Jarvi
            Respectfully yours,
            Andrew Jarvi
            [URL="http://darbycreekboys.webs.com/index.html"]Darby Creek Boys[/URL]

Kamfet brav fur Freiheit und Recht

Comment

John, glad to help. Here's the info on the 1st through 26th OVIs:

1st OVI - 200 Enfield rifle muskets, 740 Prussian rifles, 69 cal. Subsequent issue of 740 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal.
              2nd OVI - 800 U.S. rifles, 69 cal; 180 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              3rd OVI - 682 U.S. percussion muskets, 180 Enfield rifle muskets.
              4th OVI - 769 U.S. percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              5th OVI - 608 U.S. altered to percussion muskets, 190 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 950 Saxony rifle muskets.
              6th OVI - 580 U.S. percussion muskets, 120 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 752 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal.
              7th OVI - 800 U.S. percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              8th OVI - 80 U.S. percussion muskets, 576 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 180 Enfield rifle muskets.
              9th OVI - 500 U.S. percussion muskets, 350 Springfield rifle muskets.
              10th OVI - 809 U.S. percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              11th OVI - 555 U.S. altered to percussion muskets, 98 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              12th OVI - 984 U.S. altered to percussion muskets. Subsequent issue of 900 Saxony rifle muskets, 69 cal.
              13th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 190 Enfield rifle muskets.
              14th OVI - 1000 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal.
              15th OVI - 730 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              16th OVI - 980 Vincennes rifles, sabre bayonet.
              17th OVI - 784 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 196 Enfield rifle muskets.
              18th OVI - 720 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              19th OVI - 660 Pondir rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 80 Enfield rifle muskets.
              20th OVI - 750 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              21st OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              22nd OVI - No record
              23rd OVI - 385 U.S. percussion muskets, 560 U.S. altered to percussion muskets, 187 Enfield rifle muskets.
              24th OVI - 840 altered to percussion muskets, 212 Enfield rifle muskets.
              25th OVI - 800 altered to percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 900 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.
              26th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
              James Brenner

Comment

You're welcome, Andrew. The original muster rolls are in the National Archives. They, with the regimental order books, are essential to regimental research. The Ohio Historical Society has microfilms of the muster rolls for the Ohio volunteer units, but I don't know whether or not they'll have the 5th and 27th USCTs. Since there's an Ohio connection to those regiments, it's a reasonable question to ask of them.
                James Brenner

Comment

Thank you for the lead on that James. Also out of curiosity could you give me the info on the 29th OVI ( Both of my ggg grandfathers served in the 29th)

Many thanks,
                  Andrew Jarvi
                  Respectfully yours,
                  Andrew Jarvi

Comment

James,

Thank you so much for the details. I really appreciate that you took the time to research and post this.

At the Chickamauga/Chattanooga Battlefield, we learned that the 21st, Co. F had Colt revolving rifles, and that they were prone to causing injury to the soldier holding the rifle. From the records and letters, it appears that while encamped at Resaca, one GGG uncle, Simon Presler, was killed when his own Colt revolving rifle misfired. The information that some in Co. A were also issued the same rifles is new and fascinating, although nothing in the letters from the uncles in Co. A would indicate that they were the ones who received them.

Can anyone tell more about these rifles? Did they have an open chamber and were they as unpredictable as their reputation? It's interesting that as the war progressed, James' research shows that Colts were no longer issued to their units. Would the weapon's reliability or the speed with which it devoured ammunition have been a more compelling reason to change?

Thank you,

Comment

Good morning. Sorry for the silence. I'm out of town through the end of the month and don't have access to my records/notes. In fact, I'm in a hotel that doesn't have internet capability so it's sometimes difficult to respond. If the information's not posted by then, I'll try to see what I have.
                      James Brenner

Comment

Kathy,
                        At Chickamauga 7 companies of the 21st Ohio were armed with the .56 caliber five shot colt revolving rifles, while the rest of the 21st were armed with Enfields.

These guns were basically a rifle version of the colt revolver. They were slow to load, but could fire five rounds as fast as you could cock and pull the trigger. Sometimes though, the gun would discharge all chambers at once, taking a few fingers off the hand. The government stopped buying colts in 1863, and instead bought Spencers, which were faster to fire and load, and more reliable.

At Chickamauga, uptop Horseshoe Ridge the 21st used the colts to devasting effect, and many of the confederates they fought, could not believe how so few men the 21st had, instead thinking they faced a division.
                        Jake Dinkelaker
                        Cincinnati, Ohio
                        Mess No. 1

Comment

Yet another good source to begin looking at the roster's is:

"The Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion"

Many of the county libraries in Ohio have a copy in book or microfilm form, or some volumes may be accessed through "OHIO LINK", which is an inter-library loan program.

It does have the roster for the 127th OVI.

It is a good starting point before going to Columbus to the Historical Society Library, or NARA.
                          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Clothing for the First and Second Ohio Infantry Regiments

Cincinnati Daily Gazette
                            June 10, 1861
                            Page 2, Column 3

"Clothing the Ohio Volunteers"

How the First and Second Regiments were supplied-Official Reports to the Governor-Explanations in Detail.

Report of Col. Geo. M'Cook
                            Columbus, June 5.

Governor: In addition to my former reports as to the First and Second Ohio Regiments, I have the honor to submit this statement as to their condition and their clothing, equipments, and arms.
                            As the troops, by directions from Washington, were ordered forward in companies, before muster, without uniforms or arms, which were to be furnished there, you requested me to precede them, make arrangements for quarters, organize the regiments, supervise the election of field officers, and have them properly mustered into the service of the United States, for these purposes I had your authority to command; the officers were directed to me for orders; I was furnished with your letter of credit for ten thousand dollars, and I expected to report to you in person in ten days.
                            Nothing but the pressing emergency which then existed would have justified you in adopting this course, and when I made objections to the moving of troops without equipments of any kind, they were silenced by a telegraphic dispatch to you which no man could question- "If it is possible, two Regiments should reach here this week; arms, equipments, etc., will be furnished here," (Washington.) I had no authority to purchase anything except for the necessary subsistence of the troops on their arrival at Washington, and I was to reach that point some hours in advance of the foremost companies. At Pittsburg I met C. P. Wolcott, who was going to New York to make purchases for the State, and was introduced to Mr. James M. Brown, who was going forward for the same purpose.
                            Ascertaining at Harrisburg that the railway routes were broken up, I remained there to await the troops, as it was impossible for them to go forward. As I wished to be aided by the advice of Mr. Wolcott, he stopped with me, and Mr. Brown was directed to proceed by the first train to Philadelphia, to purchase blankets, absolutely necessary, as we understood the men had none with them. As the original expectation of equipment at Washington was thus defeated, Mr. Wolcott, who had your general authority for purchasing, communicated with you on the subject of supplying these Regiments. The great object was an immediate supply for the protection of the health of the men; and resort was first had to Gov. Curtin to furnish clothing from the State establishment at Philadelphia, upon terms which were communicated to you by Mr. Wolcott, and which met your approval. This arrangement was abandoned by Mr. Wolcott upon inquiry at Philadelphia, because a day could not be fixed when the clothing would be delivered, and on the 22d of April he telegraphed me from Philadelphia that "he made arrangements independent of the State clothing department of Pennsylvania for outfits, consisting of the articles mentioned in my message to Gov. Dennison." Under this arrangement, which was made with Mr. Brown, the clothing for the troops was furnished. The purchases had to be made in great haste, as it was impossible to know at what time the troops might be ordered to march to points where no supply could be obtained, and until they reached Philadelphia, there was no time when it was certain they would remain the next day in the same camp.
                            There was furnished by Mr. Brown to each man, a blanket, overcoat, blouse, a pair of pantaloons, two flannel shirts, two pairs of socks, one pair of shoes, and a hat, and when I learned that drawers had not been included in the order, I requested him to furnish two pairs for each man.
                            The blankets, half of which it was necessary to order by telegraph from New York, were generally excellent, and those which were light in weight were issued in pairs and not singly. About one-half of the pantaloons were of the quality of the pair left with Col. Whittlesey, and they were not, in my opinion, good; the residue were of satinet, and with the exception of four pairs found at the time of issuing to be defective, were believed by me to be serviceable, and that was the opinion of a number of persons who examined them at my request. There was no regular inspection, article by article, because the goods were bought by Mr. Brown, acting as an agent for the State, and not on a contract by sample, and because the clothing was frequently required to be issued when an inspection was impossible.
                            The night the troops arrived in the wet camp, near Philadelphia, I required Mr. Brown to collect all the overcoats which were finished, and send them to camp, where nearly six hundred were issued to the men, between nine and eleven o'clock at night. But I did understand the material from which the clothing was made, was examined before, at the time of purchase, by competent persons, and I attach a copy of a letter to me from Captain Woods, Ninth infantry, an officer of the U. S. Army from Ohio, who was on duty in Philadelphia at the time. And I now believe, that with the exception of a portion of the pantaloons, the articles "furnished" were of a good material, and as well made as could be expected under the circumstance attending the purchase and manufacture of the goods. And I know that whilst the troops were marching to Washington, passed a Pennsylvania Regiment, commanded by officers from Philadelphia, who had not yet succeeded in getting overcoats for their own men.
                            When we arrived in Washington, an effort was made to obtain regulation pantaloons from the Government, but no requisition would be filled except in behalf of troops mustering in for three years.
                            I deem it but an act of simple justice to Mr. Brown, to say that I have unabated confidence in his capacity and integrity, and I do not believe there was any profit or advantage to him, or the house with which he is connected, except the commission charged in his bill for purchasing the goods, advancing the money and superintending the manufacture.
                            The demands upon him to furnish the clothing were importunate, and I know he labored zealously to provide it at the earliest moment. No person who has not undertaken a similar task, will be able to appreciate the difficulty in accomplishing it.
                            The equipments of the two Regiments, for which, up to the last, we had relied upon the government to furnish, were, with the exception of the canteens only, supplied by the State. The knapsacks and haversacks were purchased by Mr. Wolcott, and there are certainly none better in the service. The belts, cartridge boxes, bayonets, scabbards, &c,, were selected by me, and delivered on your order, from those made by Schuyler, Hartley, & Graham, of New York, under their contract with the State. A requisition for these was approved at Washington, but as it was impossible to ascertain when they could be supplied from the arsenal at Philadelphia, resort was again had to your purchasers for the State of Ohio.
                            Camp kettles for cooking were supplied by the Government the day after our arrival at Philadelphia, and tents were sent with us to Washington, and there delivered.
                            I do not allude to these matters for the purpose of censuring officers having in charge the public property. With a staff designed for an army of less than twenty-thousand and, a material always limited, and by the acts of the late Secretary of War solely diminished, it was impossible to meet at once the necessities of two hundred thousand men.
                            Arms were at first procured by order of general Wool, from a lot sent Governor Curtin of Pennsylvania. They were the old flintlock musket altered to percussion; but these were turned in at Washington, and percussion muskets of the last pattern obtained in their sted. The arms are undoubtedly good, and it would be a source of great gratification if all the regiments in the state were, in this respect, as well supplied.
                            Much undeserved censure has been cast upon the officers for the locations of the camps and the delay in reaching Washington. When at Harrisburg, I applied to you for directions, and was required "to continue in command of the Ohio troops in Harrisburg, consulting with Gov. Curtin in all manners relating to their movements and disposition." The march to Lancaster was made upon consultation with him and an Aide-de-Camp of General Scott, when it was expected that at least four more Ohio regiments would move on that line, and there, on the 24th of April, the regiments were from headquarters directed to obey the orders of General Patterson, "in whose department you now are, and consequently part of whose force you compose."
                            On the 30th of April the troops were mustered into the service of the United States, and all State authority to control their movements terminated. Absolute orders were subsequently received that no troops should move forward to Washington until their equipments were complete. The officers and men were anxious to go as soon as arms were received, but they could not move without orders. They were ordered to Lancaster to camp Suffolk Park by Gen. Patterson, and from there they were ordered "to march through Baltimore" to Washington.
                            There is no "demoralization" of the regiments as has been reported to their prejudice. Their hardships were those incident to the life of a soldier; trying, I admit, to men leaving comfortable homes, but not greater than those endured by their comrades in Ohio. There were on Thursday evening last only three sick men in the hospital; very few would accept a discharge if tendered to them, and neither regiment would exchange lots with any others of the State. It is strange, indeed, if troops whose evening drills were the attraction of Philadelphia, although their camp was six miles from the city, and whose soldierlike appearance and march extorted reluctant commendation from papers in Baltimore, and who have more than once shown their bronze faces when marching through Pennsylvania Avenue, should have in four days become demoralized. Although in the matter of uniform they are not to be compared to the regiments from New York and New England, most of which were old corps with new recruits, their equipments are superior to most of these, and there were but three or four regiments which excelled them in police and discipline. And I do not believe there is one which surpassed them in drill or real efficiency.

I am, Governor,
                            very respectfully,
                            Geo. McCook

Report of James M. Brown, agent for furnishing clothing.
                            Columbus, June 6.
                            To his Excellency, William Dennison,

Governor: Having noticed in the newspapers some complaints in regard to clothing the 1st and 2d Ohio Regiments, while in Pennsylvania, I feel it my duty to make the following statement in regard to the matter.
                            On the 18th of April last, the day previous to the starting of troops from Ohio, by your request I left here in company with Colonel Wolcott, with the verbal instruction from you, that Col. Wolcott, and Col. G. W. McCook, whom we would meet at Pittsburg, would give me such orders as might be necessary in regard to duties required of me. We arrived at Harrisburg some twelve hours before the first trainload of troops, on the day of the attack made upon the Massachusetts Regiments at Baltimore.
                            The Ohio troops having been ordered by Secretary Cameron to be in Washington during the week, for the defense of the capitol, no time was given for providing clothing, or camp equipage of any kind, or even organizing them into regiments. Under these circumstances, they reached Harrisburg in no condition to venture through an unfriendly State and treacherous city, and were therefore stopped at Harrisburg. The men having neither blankets nor overcoats, and many being very poorly clad, by directions of Cols. McCook and Wolcott, I left Harrisburg in the night for Philadelphia, arriving Saturday morning, with instructions to purchase and forward blankets without delay to Harrisburg. This I did with such expedition, that I believe nearly all had blankets that night, and the rest before the next night. I bought the best I could find in the city-generally seven or eight pounds per pair-and all but a few were good, and those I advised to be issued a pair to a man. A part I ordered from New York, from sample bales I found in Philadelphia.
                            I was also instructed to look for goods that would, if necessary, do to clothe the men in.
                            I had made the acquaintance of Capt. Chas. R. Woods, 9th Infantry U. S. A., formerly of Ohio, who had assisted me in purchasing blankets, and he kindly continued his aid in the selection of samples of goods, most suitable of any in the market for clothing the men. He afterwards assisted me in the selection of shoes, stockings, and hats, from the very small stock which remained after the spring trade was over.
                            The State of Pennsylvania had, a few days previous, established a clothing department at the Girard house, and their very heavy purchases had restricted my choice of goods to a very small compass. Accompanied by Capt. Woods, I made selections of numerous samples of coating, flannel for blouses and shirts, pantaloons stuff, etc,, and on the arrival of Col. Wolcott from Philadelphia, submitted all to him. There were present at the time Col. Thomas, Assisting Quartermaster-General U. S. A., Capt. Geo. Gibson, then acting as inspector of clothing, and Capt. Woods; and when samples were examined, with reference to quality and quantity which they represented, a sample of black pilot cloth was selected for overcoats, and a sample of gray doeskin, similar in material to satinet, was selected for pantaloons, so far as the quantity would go towards making them, but failing to get a part of the lot which lay in New York, and for which I telegraphed, for nearly one-half I was obliged to take satinet, as nearly a match as I could find it.
                            A selection of flannel for blouses and shirts was also made, in all of which I believe every one present concurred.
                            While Col. Wolcott was with me, I called in several clothiers, and got their estimates for manufacturing the various articles wanted, and ascertained, as nearly as could be, the time it would take to complete the uniforms. I think the estimated cost of the proposed outfit was sixteen to seventeen dollars per man. This was, I think, officially reported to you.
                            On leaving for New York, after a short stay with me, Col. Wolcott instructed me to procure clothing as expeditiously as possible. My first effort was to get the clothing manufactured, but on application at several of the larger clothing establishments in Philadelphia, I found they had engagements for the State of Pennsylvania or other parties, and the best I could do was to make one contract for a part of the blouses and flannel shirts. The overcoats and pantaloons I could not get made on contract. I was advised by several clothiers to get rooms, hire a cutter, and give out the clothes to be made, which, as a last resort, I did, getting one of the oldest and best cutters in the city to boss the job, inspect the work, &c.
                            I tried to procure a hall in which to attend to this work, but failing in this, cleared the three upper rooms in the wool store of Stitt & Brown (of which firm I am a member,) measured and inspected the goods in the upper room, procured cutting tables and had the goods cut in the lower rooms and given out to be made up, and on return of the clothing, paid for making at our office, with money of the firm, purchasing all the goods, either with the cash or on the credit of the firm: As you are aware, I had no funds furnished me, and at the time no written authority to pledge the State for purchases I might make.
                            Such disappointments, as being able to find suitable trimmings, met me on every hand, and by incessant effort, I soon had the men comfortably clothed: but from lack of the best material, and very great hurry in which all was done, not in as good suits as I could have wished by any means, but I believe in the best that, under all the circumstances, could have been procured for them. The two regiments were clothed at an earlier date than any two regiments of the Pennsylvania volunteers.
                            About the 15th of May, I submitted at the Quartermaster's Department a full account of the purchases and articles manufactured for the State up to that time, with vouchers for all the items, by which will be seen that I purchased and got made for the First and Second Ohio regiments about 1720 suits, each man having the following articles:
                            One black felt hat and ornaments;
                            One black pilot cloth overcoat;
                            One blue flannel blouse;
                            Two red flannel shirts;
                            One pair pantaloons;
                            One pair drawers (since then another pair;)
                            Two pair wool socks
                            One pair brogan shoes;
                            at a cost of about $12.76 per man. With the exception of a part of the pantaloons, which I took from necessity, I was satisfied that the balance of the articles would outlast the three months' enlistment, and much of the clothing a summer's campaign, and in the meantime the factories then standing idle, could produce the proper articles for giving the men a full uniform of durable goods, if they did not receive uniforms on reaching Washington, as was expected, from the General Government.
                            In every instance I selected the best goods in the market that could be found in sufficient quantity to give anything like uniformity to the clothes, which I thought very essential.
                            Nearly all the men have had the benefit of this clothing for a month of rainy weather, and I believe your Excellency, and the people of the State of Ohio, will much prefer the preservation of the health of the volunteers, even in poor clothing, to risking it until such a time as "regulation" goods can be manufactured.
                            Believing that Cols. McCook and Wolcott, and such officers of the two Regiments as made attempts to find in market any military goods which they needed, will verify what I have said, I submit the same to your consideration.

Respectfully yours,

James M. Brown

_____

Cincinnati Daily Commercial
                            June 6, 1861
                            Page 1, Column 2

Taken from,

The Ohio Regiments at Washington-the contracts for clothing them.

The point most in dispute in relation to the army of Ohio, is that connected with the uniforming of the First and Second Ohio Regiments now at Washington. It is alleged that they "are in a dilapidated condition." The history of the case is as follows:
                            the Secretary of War ordered them to be sent to Washington immediately and unequipped. Most of them started at forty-eight hours notice, in citizen's clothing. Gov. Dennison directed Col. George W. McCook to superintend them they were equipped and turned over to the Government. James m. Brown Esq., of Massilon, a business man of undoubted integrity, engaged in the wool business, and familiar with the Philadelphia markets, was sent at an hour's notice to act as agent for the State of Ohio to purchase blankets, uniforms, &c. for the two Regiments. they arrived at Harrisburg on Friday, Saturday night they were supplied with good blankets, the best that could be purchased in a bare market. The State of Pennsylvania had already been in the market three days, and monopolized most of the good army supplies that could be obtained. The agent sought for regulation cloth for uniforms, but there was none. He took the best he could find, consisting of coarse black pilot cloth for overcoats and cadet gray cloth for pants. The latter was strong, yet the quality was inferior to army cloth. the difficulty of procuring even these was great. the coats were made first-some of them being delivered without buttons, because three were no regulation buttons then in the market. Subsequently, when the buttons were manufactured, the troops went back to the clothiers establishment, and the buttons were sewed on. The agent picked up socks in little lots, wherever he could find them. So with hats, brogans, &c, and at last the two Regiments uniformed.

Also mentions No. 1 drilling drawers.

_____

Cincinnati Daily Commercial
                            June 15, 1861
                            Page 1, Column 2

Under "Letters from Washington"

"Yesterday both Regiments were supplied with pantaloons and caps. The former are dark blue, well made and serviceable. The caps are also blue, made of felt, with a stiff, ventilated crown-similar to the old style artillery cap, minus the pompom.

Regards,

John

John Sarver
                            Cin., O.
                            John Sarver

Comment

Here's the list of arms issued to the 26th through 49th OVI's:

26th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              27th OVI - 760 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 190 Enfield rifle muskets
                              28th OVI - Not listed
                              29th OVI - 780 Pondir's rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets
                              30th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets
                              31st OVI - 790 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 195 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              32nd OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              33rd OVI - 700 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              34th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              35th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              36th OVI - 753 U.S. percusion muskets and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              37th OVI - 485 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 180 Springfield rifle muskets, and 180 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 100 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              38th OVI - 750 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              39th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              40th OVI - 760 Pondir's rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              41st OVI - 680 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              42nd OVI - 980 French rifles, 57 cal.
                              43rd OVI - 950 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 15 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              44th OVI - 760 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 917 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              45th OVI - 900 Springfield rifle muskets.
                              46th OVI - 700 Prussian smoothbore muskets (subsequent issue of 888 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.) and 200 Enfield rifle muskets. (Subsequent issue of 300 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.)
                              47th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                              48th OVI - 816 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.
                              49th OVI - 700 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 180 Enfield rifle muskets.

That finishes the list of weapons issued to Ohio troops in U.S. service through December 1862. If anyone's interested, I can include the issues to Ohio troops through December 1863 in another posting.
                              James Brenner

Comment

James,
                                I would love to see the numbers through 1863. I really appreciate your time and effort taken in researching and typing all of this for us.

Andrew Jarvi
                                5th USCT
                                Respectfully yours,
                                Andrew Jarvi

Comment

Working...
                                X