Gardner Canteen Strap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardner Canteen Strap?

I just received a beautifully crafted Gardner canteen from CJ Daley, but it does not come with a strap. Considering there are no old threads to search as of yet, what is the appropriate strap for such a canteen and where can it be procured? Also, are there any nuances related to theatre and time of the war that are pertinent?
    Thanks,
    Ed Hagins
    Ed Hagins
    Death is the common lot of all and the diferance between dyeing to day and to morrow is not much but we all prefer to morrow.
    Private Thomas B. Barker, 2nd Maine, July 20, 1861

Re: Gardner Canteen Strap?

Got one on this page

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

There are several CS canteens with straps show in addition to the one you are looking for. Any of the cotton web straps should be correct.

Jim Mayo
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Texian,

The book "Civil War Canteens" by Silvia and O'Donnell (SP?) shows Gardner Pattern canteens with a variety of different straps. The straps shown are made of leather, linen, cotton ticking, suspender webbing and the H, P and S webbing. I would think personal preference could guide your choice unless you can document a particular sling type to your theater of operation or unit.

I have two Gardner pattern canteens (one very authentic and one I defarbed with the help of Sam Doolin). The authentic canteen has a strap made from suspender webbing from Family Heirloom Weavers and purchased from Trans-Mississippi Depot. The other canteen has a red ticking strap I made myself using a TMD linen haversack strap for a pattern.

I hope this helps.

Tom Glaze/Thumper
      [SIZE=4]Tom Glaze[FONT=Georgia]

Comment

The original wooden canteens in EoG show three different straps. One is of cotton webbing, one is of russet leather, and the third is striped suspender strap. You would be best to make your own unless you want to go with leather. The leather strap is not shown in great detail, but what is visible resembles an early war federal canteen strap.

Cotton Webbing www.familyheirloomweavers.com www.woodedhamlet.com/ The cotton webbing was used for suspenders and straps. If you run into this material online, it may be listed as suspender material. This is fine, be sure to buy the 1" width.

Federal Early War Strap www.ldhaning.com

Suspender Strap www.skilletlicker.com See if he offers the blue and white striped strap (suspender material). Nick ************ had civilian suspenders available on this site out of that exact material. Track it down and see if Jersey Joe can hook you up.

Comment

Dell's Leather Works carries the leather strap for the Gardiner canteen. Fit mine perfectly.
          Museum Quality Civil War Leather Reproductions and Custom Creations, holsters, belts, leather book covers, neck stock, thumb stall, artillery, military, infantry, Officer, Navy, Marine, General, Commander, sheaths, leather covered bottles, leather covered canteens, cartridge boxes, rifle and musket slings, tobacco pouch, soldier accoutrements, eye patch, knife sheaths, work belts, pouches, satchels,

Greg Renault
          Greg Renault

Comment

Ed,

The majority of canteen straps I have viewed in person, or in pictures, have some type of mechanical fastener, such as a button, roller buckle, or even a suspender buckle. One of the more interesting straps is nothing but a strip of leather with a button cut into one end, and a button hole in the other. I have seen two different canteens with this type of strap. I would agree that leather, webbing, or folded cotton/linen cloth were all used. In most cases, Confederate folded straps are only sewn along one edge.
            Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

In addition to the canteens on Jim's site, Old South Military Antiques has a Gardner with particularly interesting strap. I posted these pics before but it must have been lost in the shuffle.

This strap is made from a CS tarred canvas box sling:

There are a couple sources for these reproduction slings if you want to go that route.

Here is a Gardner for sale on the Hendershott site. According to the accompanying text, it has a cotton sling with a bone button.

Not a Gardner, but a unique CS sling. This canteen is id'd to Lt. R. Welch of the 18th VA Cav.

Wooded Hamlet often has some webbings similar to this. Last time I saw their wares, they had some red and blue woven webbing that was consistent with the weave and pattern of this one.

I hope these give you some ideas.
              Last edited by Yellowhammer; 01-30-2004, 05:51 PM.
              John Stillwagon

Comment

Check with Family Heirloom Weavers. They sell items made by Don Smith of TMD. He makes 6-7 different Confederate canteen slings all based on originals. They incorporate buttons, trowser buckles, or iron roller buckles as means of fastening ends together. Materials include folded cotton cloth, cotton web, osnaburg and others. Any of these would be great choices.

Sam Doolin
                The Old Rebel Workshop

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Ed,

The majority of canteen straps I have viewed in person, or in pictures, have some type of mechanical fastener, such as a button, roller buckle, or even a suspender buckle. One of the more interesting straps is nothing but a strip of leather with a button cut into one end, and a button hole in the other. I have seen two different canteens with this type of strap. I would agree that leather, webbing, or folded cotton/linen cloth were all used. In most cases, Confederate folded straps are only sewn along one edge.
                  Do you have any pictures of any of these straps. I've never seen or heard this and its peeked my interest.
                  Captain Andy Witt
                  52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
                  Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by rebelfirefighter07 View Post
                    Do you have any pictures of any of these straps. I've never seen or heard this and its peeked my interest.
                    I assume you are talking about the strap with a button cut into one end and a button hole cut into the other end. I'm afraid I don't have any photos. I was able to measure two of these straps. One was 5/8" wide. the other was 3/4" wide. My guess is both were wider when new. Leather stretches. Both were stained black.

These straps are simple to make. I used a 3/4" X 6' strap to make mine. Just cut a "button" in one end of the strap. Cut two notches, a little less than a quarter inch deep on each edge of your strap and then round off the corners of your "button". On the two originals I viewed, one "button" was cut round. The other was cut much like a modified "Ace of Spades". That will leave about 5/16" or 3/8" between the "button" and the rest of the strap. On the other end of the strap, punch a 1/4" hole and make a 1/2" slit behind the hole.

Put the strap on your canteen, then force the "button" through the button hole. Last, but not least, slide the strap around until the "button" rides against the side sling keeper on your canteen.
                    Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Originally posted by Texian View Post
                      I just received a beautifully crafted Gardner canteen from CJ Daley
                      Wonderful!!! I will be looking for mine any day now.

Looking at Mr. Mayo's site (thanks Jim) I am glad to see a webbing strap. My wife has some of that in her sewing shop. I will ask her to make a strap for me out of that, and the best part of all this is that the strap is free, well, the labor might cost me but I can put it on my account :wink_smil.
                      Last edited by Parault; 12-15-2008, 10:45 PM.
                      [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Would hemp webbing be authentic? Seems as though, as much hemp rope and twine we use?
                        Dennis Watson

Comment

Working...
                        X