Forage Cap Brim Enamel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forage Cap Brim Enamel

I've been trying to find a period recipe for forage cap brim enamel, particularly for federal forage caps. Does anyone know of the correct recipe, or know where to find it? Thanks.
    Eric Champigny

Re: Forage Cap Brim Enamel

Cody Mobley of the Company Tailor does period enameling of brims. He might be able to help you out.
    Mitchell L Critel
    Wide Awake Groupie
    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Erich, I'm curious if you ever found a recipe for this?
      Dave Gink
      2nd US Cavalry
      West Bend, WI

Comment

I'm still curious? Anyone?
        Dave Gink
        2nd US Cavalry
        West Bend, WI

Comment

Comrades,

PP 174 of the Ordnance Manual (1862 edition) lists the recipe(s) for Patent Leather, although the Army refers to it as a varnish. Search for it under varnish for leather, holsters, scabbards, etc. This is the same finish applied to farage cap brims, etc.

For what it's worth, that same section has the recipe for black (iron) dye for leather.

I am unable at the moment to transcribe it, but the online edition ought to be easily found and the pertinent section located without much difficulty.

Respects,
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine View Post
            Comrades,

PP 174 of the Ordnance Manual (1862 edition) lists the recipe(s) for Patent Leather, although the Army refers to it as a varnish. Search for it under varnish for leather, holsters, scabbards, etc. This is the same finish applied to farage cap brims, etc.

For what it's worth, that same section has the recipe for black (iron) dye for leather.

I am unable at the moment to transcribe it, but the online edition ought to be easily found and the pertinent section located without much difficulty.

Respects,
            Tim, keep in mind that the iron dye stated in the manual is for blacking "belts" that means it was meant for buff leather at the time of publishing not bridle leather.
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by J.H.Berger View Post
              Tim, keep in mind that the iron dye stated in the manual is for blacking "belts" that means it was meant for buff leather at the time of publishing not bridle leather.

Comrade,

Yes, in fact, ALL of the belts, either waist, baldric, or cartridge box are described as being made of black buff leather.

However, if you read further into the descriptions of other items, it refers to "black bridle leather" and leather that is "jacked, blacked, and lackered".

There is no other recipe given for blacking/dyeing leather than the one "iron dye" I refered to, and the instructions call for black leather that is then lackered. I could infer from that, that absent other instructions, the same "iron dye" was used to colour all of the leather items, and that the bridle leather items, such as cartridge box, cap box, etc, were then finished with a coat of lacker.

Either that, or the Ordnance Department procured bridle leather that had already been dyed black at it's source.

The more you learn, the more you don't know... sigh.....

I'd appreciate further thoughts from others more in the know.

Respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Dear Tim,
                I am quite sure but have no reference for it that the government facilities procured finished leather on the private market which was already blackened. however I can recommend the study of "The production of U.S. army leather" at Benicia Arsenal U.S. Army Ordnance Department 1879 by first Lt. David A. Lyle.
                It is available as reprint at Collector's Library.
                Although it outdates the CW there are very interesting infos about the production of leather and its finishing incl. dying and staining.
                I have tried the method of staining with logwood extract, soda and water and immediately afterwards dyeing the leather with iron filings and vinegar. That works really fine and gives a deep black on vegetable tanned leather. Afterwards it is waxed and polished ánd you have an excellent surface.
                I hope this is of use .
                Jan H.Berger
                Hornist

German Mess
                http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Examination of several original contractor-marked Union issue forage caps reveals that the enameled visors were often die-cut from larger pieces of the coated leather. There is no enamel present on the edges of the brims and a cross section of the leather structure is visible. The outline curvatures are very regular, suggesting they were not hand cut, rather cut by steel cutting dies. The leather tends to be very thin and stiff. The leather was probably wetted and hammered, or run through compression rollers, to stiffen it before the finish was applied after the leather had dried.

I have never run across specfic description of this process in the CW period. Lacking the "how to", I achieved the same visual end result as on the originals by using proper weight thin leather, coating & saturating it with either varnish or shellac (can't remember which, now), letting that dry and then applying enamel paint (Testors) for plastic models, probably two coats. I cut the blank a bit large in order to trim it precisely with a single edge razor and expose the cross section. The repro visor is thin, stiff, and after thoroughly dry the surface cracks a bit, but not too much. I grade the result a B+/A- when held next to a real one.

Sincerely,
                  Dean Nelson
                  1st MD Infantry, CSA, N-SSA

Comment

I realize I am pulling up an old thread, but I have an additional question about brim enameling that I simply cannot find an answer to. In my research I have heard this process called enameling, lacquering, painted leather, and patent leather. Then I have heard that brims are not "patent leather" and that was a different process altogether. I have heard they were not actually enameled but lacquered. It seems most people just say "painted leather". Is this a period term or just because no one knows what to actually call it? What is correct? Does anyone know for sure? My head is spinning. ;) Seriously though, I really am curious what is correct.

Thanks!!
                    Dave
                    Dave Gink
                    2nd US Cavalry
                    West Bend, WI

Comment

Per my 1861 Ordnance manual, p174 about half way down
                      "Varnish for Holsters, Scabbards, & c., (or Patent Leather)"
                      It gives a recipe for "first and second coats", then a recipe for "third or finishing coat- Copal Varnish"

Maybe the third coat is what gives the hard shine to the brim.

The ingredients are something to read. Now I see why some of these items are so hard to reproduce, the art and ingredients are lost to time.... or are very cost prohibitive.
                      Tedd Ill
                      Sergeant 1st Illinois Regimental light artillery, Battery A and Pvt. Battery L
                      (BTW my last name is "I-L-L" as in sick)

Comment

I have a period recipie for cap brims. PM me if interested.

Comment

Working...
                        X