No announcement yet.

Austrian Lorenz Repop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Loyalist Arms 1854 Lorenz Is here!-BUY AN ORIGINAL!!!

Hello Mr. Klas and my brothers in arms! I dont know why and I cannot understand the reasons why the reenactment-or better yet living historians dont buy and use original Civil War firearms. I have been doing Civil War for a very long time and I use my original pieces, and I do not own any foreign made reproductions.

The biggest argument stated is price. Well, a new Enfield defarbed is $600 to $700 and dont forget the bayonet and sling and all the appendages. An original Enfield if you look at gun shows or Civil War Shows or just put feelers out there can run from as little as $800 and a nice one is $1200 to $1400. You buy an orginal piece and you can sell it for what you put into it and in some cases sell it for more than you paid! You can also start your own collection.

Another argument I hear is that taking an original piece out into the field will ruin it!!! Duh, they were maufactured to withstand the weather and battlefield conditions 14o years plus ago!!!! Part of any soldiers training is the care and preservation of his firearm. If it rains and your original piece gets wet, you oil the crap out of it-- for preservation sake use a product called Ballistol and just coat the gun and it cuts the threat of rust by 95%. If your repro. Italian firearm gets wet over the weekend you better coat that one too!! If you scratch the original stock that is what boiled linseed oil is for and use a little walnut stain.

The new Lorenz "looks" like an Austrian, but is in my opinion, a poor substitute for an original. I just heard from one of the people who post on the AC he just picked up and original Lorenz for only $400!! They are out there and you have to look!!

The internal lock parts on original Enfields, Springfields, and Lornenz rifled muskets and rifles are case hardend, and if maintained will last another 140 years. USE Boiled linseed oil for the stock-- the firearm if wet, take apart and oil, and store it in a dry open area out of the gun case.. Hang it on the wall--

Buy an original if you can. Was at the Mansfield Civil War show last month and across the table from me was a gentleman selling an orginal OHIO stamped Lorenz for only $700!!

You can have the barrels checked or relined by gunsmiths in Virginia or buy a new barrel for $300 to $400, nipples can be redone and rethreaded if need be and guns can be restored--parts are available.

Will have a chapter on this in the new Wearing the Gray Confederate Conpendium.

Tom Arliskas
    CADET GRAY AND BUTTERNUT BROWN
    Tom Arliskas

Comment

• Re: Loyalist Arms 1854 Lorenz Is here!

Tom,
      For me it has never been a case of cost. You are correct you can use an original and yes they were designed for field use. Yes you can have barrels inspected and parts replaced. However it is still 140 plus years old and a piece of history, as such it is not replaceable if it is damaged or destroyed. I personally am not willing to risk that by using an original in the field for anything more than a LH program.

The other issue, and this has been discussed here before, is when these weapons were issued during the war they were not 140 plus years old. They did not have the patina of a 140 year old weapon. So unless you are willing to make your original look like it is not 140 years old and thus destroying the patina and much of the value, then is it really any more accurate to carry an original?

I think originals are great for LH programs or static display. I am not in favor of using them in the field at reenactments or immersive type events. The risk of damaging or destroying a piece of non-replaceable history is to great.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
      [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
      [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

My WTG comrade Tom Arliskas makes a valid point as there is no reproduction as "authentic" as the original and Tripp's point about originals looking 145 years old vs as issued and destroying a piece of history is also valid. This is probably a subject for another thread, and a good one. To summarize, I have to say that no de-farbed musket or rifle-musket currently available (and I have evaluated most of them in The Civil War Musket) comes very close to the originals in terms of performance, except in a superficial cosmetic sense...meaning it may look like one from a few feet away but the mystery is over once you pick it up.

Here is what I consider the "best possible solution"; a mostly original "put together" from parts. The "put together" does not look 145 years old because (this is the key) it was produced from disassociated parts hence no "piece of history" or historical significance was lost by refurbishing those separate parts. And it more closely resembles how a Civil War-era weapon looked when issued than an original in shooting condition. Best of both worlds. The downside is it took a while to find all the parts and a "put together" project would not be recommended for those who are lacking a degree of patience. I was surprised how much better the original locks are than the reproductions. The whole thing was fun to do, though.
        Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hello, You are correct in stating that you dont want to ruin the firearm. They are replaceable and can be fixed if needed. The only thing that could happen is that someone walks off with it. I have carried mine in four or five of the big reenactments of the mid-eighties and have never had any trouble. I do get the "is that an original?" As to the argument that they have a patina and cant be polished-- well I see a lot of polished originals at gun shows. What you cant do is polish off the markings--

Tom Arliskas
          Last edited by trippcor; 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM. Reason: Added full name of poster
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

• Regarding Lorenz Bayonets

Question regarding Lorenz Bayonets:
            Does anyone have an original scabbard for one? I imagine that when they were imported they came with the issue scabbard, but I have never seen one.

Someone posted an available "CS manufactured Scabbard" as a reproduction alternative, but an original letter from the director of the Columbus Laboratories states that the Depot "never has, and has no plans to manufacture a bayonet scabbard for the Austrian rifle." If Columbus didn't manufacture them, and since they were the largest depot in proximity to the AOT, who used the most Lorenz's, I am wondering if the bayonets weren't either used until the issue scabbards wore out and then discarded, or if there was a different pattern of scabbard for another bayonet which served the same purpose.

Let's not go gung ho with tarred scabbards until we can document one. I'll try and find the full text of that letter and post it in a day or so.

Andrew Jerram
            Kind Regards,
            Andrew Jerram

Comment

Or they simply made use of whatever scabbard they were issued, as this Yank did.
              Last edited by roundshot; 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

• Re: Regarding Lorenz Bayonets

Originally posted by pipthelimey View Post
                Question regarding Lorenz Bayonets:
                Does anyone have an original scabbard for one? I imagine that when they were imported they came with the issue scabbard, but I have never seen one.
                Are you talking about the original Austrian made leather covered wood scabbard? Or the 2 rivit Gaylord parttern US scabbard? I have seen 1 Austrian made scabbard a while ago and own an original 2 rivit Gaylord pattern one for the Austrian bayonet
                John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

here is link from Wambaugh and White that might be useful

Ernie Manzo
                  Co. C, 1st USSS (NCWA)

Comment

US issue Austrian scabbard ID to Oliver Godfrey of the 14th NH. It came with a M-1855 Springfield bayonet.
                    Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM.
                    Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I for one have found this whole thread quite enlightening and VERY interesting. The back and forth of this disscussion is exactly what should be done, Im just glad its not a one sided look at this musket; either this thing sucks or, this rifle is great. Thank you guys.
                      -Jesse
                      [U][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Jesse William Wayne Nathan[/SIZE][/FONT][/U]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Currently non affiliated[/FONT]

Comment

I'm sorry, I should have specified the question I was asking a little bit better. I was trying to ask if anyone had ever seen a Lorenz bayonet scabbard of Confederate manufacture. I saw a post regarding a painted cloth scabbard with a lead finial, and I was wondering if we had any knowledge of a CS manufactured one. I don't doubt that they came with scabbards, and that Gaylord pattern scabbards were manufactured as well, but we also know that scabbards didn't last forever in the field, (I have copies of requisitions that include bayonet scabbards) so what recourse were the troops left with if there wasn't a CS manufactured alternative?

Kind Regards,

Hopefully that's clearer
                        Kind Regards,
                        Andrew Jerram

Comment

Andrew:
                          To my knowledge the Confederacy did not make or contract for a cloth or leather scabbard specifically for the Austrian Lorenz bayonet.
                          Craig L Barry
                          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

As a side note, one of my pards sent me some pictures of an original Lorenz import scabbard.

http://www.sharpsburg-arsenal.com/Ri...__muskets.html (Homepage)
                            Kind Regards,
                            Andrew Jerram

Comment

Is there any historical documentation that the Austrian scabbard, SCABBARD, was ever used in the American Civil War? I have seen many documented Lorenz muskets and bayonets, but scabbards?
                              It is my understanding that the scabbards, as pictured in above posted photo, came to these shores after the fall of the Soviet Bloc when a great number were discovered in an eastern European warehouse.
                              Steve Sullivan
                              CWPT
                              Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

I personally would not use an original musket simply because it will be virtually impossible to look "authentic" with a 140+ year old gun. Think about it, those guns were new back then and thus looked that way. If you have in your possession a like-new original musket, you'd be a fool to take it out and shoot it no matter what it is. You can polish and restore an original to look fairly correct, but great care must be taken when doing this or faint markings will be ruined in the restoration process.

It is in the same vein as the "to polish or not" debate on our brass. It was polished back then. The uniforms were new. Guys were told to repair torn uniforms, sew back on lost buttons, polish brass, clean muskets, etc. The officers and more importantly sargeants had to keep the men occupied somehow, and the military then as well as now loves busy work. If you look 140+ years old, you look more farbby in many respects that then newbie that shows up with 100% new gear (unless of course his trousers have a crease). Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X