No announcement yet.

Austrian Lorenz Repop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Loyalist Arms 1854 Lorenz Is here!

James
    I am familiar with the anecdote you reference and I have always wondered from the description of the 104th OVIs weapons if those could have been old Austrian smoothbore tubelock muskets from the 1840s...the use of the word "tube" rather than "cone" is an odd choice of words. There is a picture of an Austrian tubelock in "Echoes of Glory" and those were big old junkers. I could easily see those being decrepit. Also the Lorenz was often referred to as an "Austrian rifle", rather than as a "musket". The term "musket" was understood at the time to mean "smoothbore musket". Not always in a soldier's diary or letter, but in an officer's descriptive account of issued ordnance...anyway, it is just a thought. The M-1854s weren't cream puffs but they weren't likely to be 1/3 of the lot defective.

Leander Stillwell of the 61st Illinois was delighted with his M-1854 Lorenz which he termed "a wicked (meaning real good) shooter", but opinions seem to have varied on the Lorenz. Overall, I find them to be on the crude side, an older mostly obsolete European design that does not hold a candle to the P-53. The lock function is especially crude. It has the old style "hook" type lock (no tumbler link), a long hammer throw, an old style lock plate etc. However, the M-1854 Lorenz clearly has its fans...look at the enthusiasm for them in the posts here. Soldiers were well known to drop the Lorenz and pick up US rifle-muskets or Enfields on the battlefield, and I can understand it.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-15-2007, 11:07 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Craig,

Thanks for your comments. I wondered about the "tube" remark, too. The only thing that didn't quite click (pun intended) was the caliber. According to the 1862 Ohio QM general's report, Ohio issued only .54 and .58 caliber Austrian rifle muskets. Weren't earlier Austrians of larger caliber?
      James Brenner

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
        Some (small number) of commercial P-53 with British government markings definitely have US Civil War provenance. Post Crimean War-era (type II) Enfields with government marks were refurbished and sold off into the gun trade as updated P-53 models were produced. See previous post by Tim Prince titled "Never Say Never about Enfields" for a good example of one of those type IIs with a Sinclair Hamilton inspection mark.

In The Civil War Musket, (Watchdog Publications 2006 p. 28 footnote # 9) it mentions that there are several LACs existing with Brit government markings, including the V.R under the crown that all LACs seem to have and govt barrel proofs, broad arrow, etc with confirmed Confederate Civil War provenance. One was closely inspected doing the research for the book. It was issued to a soldier in Georgia, and the rack numbers match up with invoices from one of the first blockade runners to land in Savannah back in 1861.

These are, of course, exceptions to the rule.

Thanks, you are correct and as the previous thread said "Never Say Never...." I have to remember that.... :o
        Thomas Pare Hern
        Co. A, 4th Virginia
        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

James
          The 1842 Austrian tubelocks were big bore (.72). It would've been the M-1854 Lorenz if the bore was in the vicinity of .54 to .58. The M-1854 was 13.9 mm (actually .556), which was one reason for their reputation for poor shooting accuracy. Austrian ammo was not imported along with the Lorenz. US 1841 (Mississippi) rifle .535 balls were usually issued, and these rounds were the wrong size for the Lorenz.

It still seems odd...Not that the Austrians fobbed off obsolete arms on the US Army, but that fully 1/3 of the M-1854s issued to those Ohio troops could actually be that bad...however, that is what we are left to conclude.
          Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-17-2007, 11:48 AM.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hello all,

On the subject of the Lorenz, does anyone have an original hammer laying around that they would be willing to sell?

Benjamin McGee

Comment

If you hurry, here is a more-or-less complete Lorenz in sad shape on eBay: #300120186712

Doug Price

Comment

Benjamin,
                Be very careful in your quest for a missing Lorenz hammer.
                There are several distinctive "types" of Lorenz hammer/locks. One resembles a model 1853 Enfield and one does not.
                Also these are hand made weapons, not mass produced from a single model, so one part is not totally interchangable with all as in the case of the US Springfield.
                Be prepared to lug your hammerless Lorenz to parts sources, or be prepared for a lot of back and forth postage unless you luck into a correct hammer the first time out.
                Steve Sullivan
                CWPT
                Co. Mil. Hist.
                Owner of several Lorenz', none of which have interchangable parts!

Comment

Interesting piece.. For some reason I want to say that some NJ units were issued the Lorenz.. I'll have to check my regimental history books. Is anyone else in the states selling this gun?
                  Tom Ragno

Comment

• Lorenz musket tool

I was bidding on a lorenz musket tool in vg condition on an on line auction. It sold for $107.55!! Value of it was rated $40 and people have said on here they find them for $25 or $30. Keep your eyes peeled for these!! Jim Hensley
                    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
                    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

• Re: Lorenz musket tool

I paid $7 for mine, they are not uncommon. I believe I've seen a half dozen in the last year at various gunshows running about $25.
                      Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                      SUVCW Camp 48
                      American Legion Post 352
                      [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

• Re: Lorenz musket tool

Jim,

Have you contacted Tim Prince?
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

• Austrian bayonet scabbards

Came across this image in the LOC of a group of Federal Soldiers at Centerville. Notice they are carrying Lorenze's and the bayonet is held by the standard US scabbard which is too short. I like photos showing make do configurations such as this.
                          Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM.
                          Jim Mayo
                          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

• Re: Austrian bayonet scabbards

Very neat photo and observation.
                            Tristan Galloway

Comment

Well, I'll be! I was just looking at the same photograph and noticing that too. I need some kudos too.
                              Jason C. Spellman
                              Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Oh my gosh... gaiters on Federals! :p

Great photo -Johnny
                                Johnny Lloyd
                                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                                SCAR
                                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                                X