Austrian Lorenz Repop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Austrian bayonet scabbards

The Hall of Valor at New Market has on display a Federal Scabbard with a lorenze bayonet sticking out in this manner. While I have long been critical about this, the image Jim has posted shows that it is not out of the realm of possibility.

The scabbard/bayonet is preported to have been carried into Battle of New Market by VMI Cadet Francis L. Smith. It is attached to a folded leather belt with a Virginia Spoon and Wreath Buckle. Cadet Smith's Cassimere uniform is on display at New Market and his jacket of English Broadcloth is in the VMI collection and was the basis for the reproduction by Scott Hanes' of the Richmond Depot.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    23rd VA Vol. Regt.
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

If the weapons were purchased but 'leathers' weren't wouldn't it be logical that the depot would just issue whatever the QM had in stock?

I guess the question would be does anybody have either QM returns on what was issued with the Lorenz or maybe even shipping manifests to show what arrived in the same cargo the weapons did?

Frankly I have a hard time envisioning them coming from the warehouse with/in the scabbards since the items would have been provided by two different manufacturers in Austria and not mated up until issued form stores.
      Bob Sandusky
      Co C 125th NYSVI
      Esperance, NY

Comment

Jim - great photo. Does it mention the regiment (note the jackets)? Are those perhaps wooden grave markers at their feet?
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Here is most of the original picture. Some observations and questions:

Were there Quaker guns at Centerville? If not, could this have been taken near Williamsburg except for all the barracks in the background.

All of the Lorenz's have slings. Could this indicate the arms were shipped with slings and bayonets but no other leather accouterments? The scabbards are the two rivet type which are early to mid war.

These troops seem to have dark blue shell jackets and trousers. Were they early war volunteers in a state supplied uniform or some semi-zouve unit?

What in the world is on the top of this cap? I can see the regiment number and the top part looks like a Jeff Davis hat pin. What is in the middle?

If you do a search on the LOC using the word "soldier" this picture shows up on the 2nd or third page. I believe it is titled something like Federal soldiers at Centerville.
          Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

funny you should post that. Im in the very beginning stages of researching the issue of scabbards for non-Springfield bayonets (model 55). There were thoudands of Enfields in the Federal Army, and the number of Enfield scabbards issued to the army doesnt seem to compare to the number of muskets (again, just beginning to do research..this statement is based soley on the number of surviving, identified to Federal use, Enfield scabbards and on photographs). This research is difficult, as records seldom descibe the type of scabbard being issued.

Ive often wondered about reproduction scabbards being made by molding it to the actual bayonet it is being ordered for, except for understanding that repro and originals are diferent.

At this stage in my research, I have a thesis that soldiers had to make do with Springfield-type scabbards regardless of the bayonet they had. This is just a working thesis. Perhaps the correct bayonet was issued with the musket, but replacement scabbards were most likely Springfield types.

As for Confederate issue, thousands of Enfield accouterments were run through the blockade. I have read that Enfield musket purchase prices included the bayonet and scabbard, yet cargo manifests often have different numbers of scabbards and muskets listed. It could be that IF the muskets actually came with bayonets and scabbards, they were crated together, and the number of scabbards listed were in addition to those that came with the muskets.

Then one has to consider CS produced scabbards, and were they sized in a manner to accept both Springfield type and Enfield type bayonets?

In the OR's, I have found a reference to scabbards "from Vienna" being part of the inventory of a captured blockade runner.

If anyone can help, please chime in. Im also trying to figure out what the Fed's did with captured blcokade runner inventory. I know the ship and cargo went to court for adjudication, but havent found any records concerning the fate of the inventories. Seems to me it would have made sense (which means they probably didnt do this) to keep accouterments and muskets for issue to the army.
            [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

If the Lorenz's shown had been issued with full Austrian accoutrements the bayonet scabbards would not have been popular, nor practical. Instead of a leather loop to slip on the waist belt the Austrian scabbard came with a hook like device similat to what is found on a NCO/musician sword scabbard.
              Note also to the left, two men from the "invisible man" there is a full outfitted soldier who seems to be holding a 1816 or similar weapon, much longer than a Lorenz.
              Steve Sullivan

Comment

Ya know what, I think this might be the 95th Pennsylvania, Gosline's Zoauves. The jackets are correct but they are standard forage caps - not unusual for these guys. they wore issue trowsers and were issed gaiters. Looks a 95 and a D on the one cap.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
                  If the Lorenz's shown had been issued with full Austrian accoutrements the bayonet scabbards would not have been popular, nor practical. Instead of a leather loop to slip on the waist belt the Austrian scabbard came with a hook like device similat to what is found on a NCO/musician sword scabbard...

Steve Sullivan
                  Why do you think the Confederates allowed that ship to be captured? The captain reported hearing cheers from the troops in Willmington:D
                  [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Humor, har-har!
                    Going back to the initial posting, Mr. Mayo, in your extensive battlefield archaeology, have you ever found any remains of the very distinctive Lorenz scabbard? Aside from the hook, the mouth of the scabbard has the "X" configuration or opening to hold the blade. It would be hard to pass a Lorenz scabbard part off as anything else.
                    It is my understanding (unresearched) that within the last decade a warehouse in eastern Europe was found with Lorenz baynots/scabbards aplenty, and many have made it across the Atlantic, and not on a blockade runner either. Were these scabbards seen stateside before that hoard was discovered? Aside from diggers recovery, are these scabbards seen in stateside museum collections?
                    I bought one from Lodgewood, they had several, and the warehouse story was told to me then.
                    Steve Sullivan

Comment

I have owned a few Lorenz muskets and several bayonets and scabbards of leather-covered wood over the years. It has been apparent to me that the bayonets were fitted to the gun and bayonets made to accomodate the scabbard. I have noted the lower ends of the bayonet blades being "trimed" to make this happen. As you know, the "throat" of a wooden Lorenz is made of metal with a "+" cut in it for the bayonet to go through. Although I am not speaking as an authority, I also believe the bayonets were matched with the guns since they are not always interchangeble. Years ago, Chris Schreiber of Long Island made for me a US style leather bayonet scabbard from an original. Obviously, this made fitting the bayonet in the scabbard easy without modifying it.

Joe Walker

Comment

I have never found a Austrian Lorenze bayonet but saw one dug in CS lines at Burmuda Hundred. Have never seen any scabbard parts. I have also heard of the Lorenze scabbards being found in Europe and then shipped over here in I believe in the 1960s or early 70s.

Don't forget the Feds made scabbards for the Lorenze bayonets. Two types of two rivet scabbards as far as I have seen. The throat determines the type. One has an oval opening and the other a more square corner type looking sort of like a third corps badge.
                        Jim Mayo
                        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Ah Bermuda Hundred. I know the place, hunted there in the early 60's with a fellow from Henrico County named Sam McClaren.
                          I have several of the US made scabbards, which had to be made to fit the Lorenz bayonet as their shape was not that of either the Springfield nor Enfield bayonet.
                          I too had not seen a Lorenz scabbard part come out of the soil of the US of A. I was hoping that someone else had.
                          No great historic puzzle this, just curious. For all the Lorenz rifled muskets issued by the north alone, a large number of scabbards must have been fabricated by someone to fit the foreign imports. Not all would have been happy to wear the long bayonets in the short scabbards as shown in the photo at the head of this thread.
                          Thank you.
                          Steve Sullivan

Comment

These men appear to be wearing chasseur style uniforms. Best regards.
                            Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                            Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                            Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

In general the US issued one of two special types of 2-rivet scabbard for use with the quadrangle Lorenz bayonet. The oval throat one was designed for use with all of the various 4-sided Austrian socket bayonets (M1799/28, M1842 & M1854) as well as the M1809 & M1839 Prussian (Potsdam) bayonets, and a variety of other imported bayonets that were too long (or too wide) for use in the standard issue scabbards. The diamond throat scabbard was specifically for the Austrian bayonets.

Until recently I was of the opinion that the Austrian made scabbards did not come over here in any great numbers, however I have recently come to the conclusion that they did come over in at least some quantity. Austrian scabbards are listed on blockade-runner manifests, showing that the Confederacy was buying them. Also, in Mr. Kindred's nice research on Mass troop issues, he came across a listing for a regiment that was issued "Austrian Rifles" and "Enfield scabbards". Obviously the Austrian bayonet would not fit in an Enfield scabbard, so this is likely a reference to the use of Austrian scabbards, as they resemble the Enfield scabbard with a mounting hook designed to mate with a frog (as previously noted in this thread).

This would be a great picture for Paul Johnson to use in his upcoming book on bayonet scabbards. I'm sure most of you are familiar with Paul's ground breaking work on US cartridge boxes, and the bayonet scabbard book (possibly books....) will again give students of material culture much to ponder.
                              [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                              [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                              [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                              Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                              Member The Company of Military Historians
                              Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                              Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                              [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Other cool things to note in the picture:

#1- The guns are what collectors term Type II Lorenz's and have both the cheek rest and the long range rear site.

#2-Big (and I mean "farby" big) cups, on the outside of their haversacks, attached by the closure strap!

#3-The haversacks (in general) are bulging full!

#4-At least one soldier has a tompion in his Lorenz- it looks to be a standard US style turned wood plug.

#5-The smooth side canteens and lack of leather covers on the knapsack strap hardware (along with the previously mentioned two rivet scabbards) all encourage dating the image to sometime in 1862.

#6-This may be a result of overall image quality, but I cannot see either a brass hook or adjustment holes in the slings- ruling out the standard US issue. I do see leather loops, but that does not rule any particular type of sling out. They do not appear to be either type of English sling, since neither a buckle nor ties are visible.
                                [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                                [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                                [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                                Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                                Member The Company of Military Historians
                                Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                                Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                                [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X