Austrian Lorenz Repop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Austrian bayonet scabbards

Excavated sheet iron throats with hook and sheet iron tips with ball ends from Austrian-made leather-covered Lorenz socket bayonets scabbards do show up from time to time on eBay. Presumeably they were recovered from American Civil War sites but only the digger knows for sure and from where. More and more European finds are making their way to the United States and the provenances of those items usually get lost or misrepresented.

The blades and scabbards generally do not interchange. I bought a Lodgewood Austrian scabbard, probably from the warehouse cache, and walked it around a gun show or two to find a blade that would go in it (length and width) also with a socket diameter that would fit on the Lorenz rifle they were joining.

The Austrian infantry of the 1850s carried the scabbards on white buff shoulder belts, as is illustrated in period photos in the monograph on the Austrian army put out in the series produced in England (Osprey?). I have not yet seen a surviving Austrian scabbard attributed to CW use with a waistbelt frog still with it, but am very eager to hear of one. A collector/shooter friend conjectured that the Confederates may not have used one, simply sliding the scabbard behind the waistbelt with the hook keeping it in place. Original US-made Lorenz scabbards, in at least 2 styles, are encountered with some regularity out there today.

Dean Nelson
    1st MD Infantry, CSA, N-SSA

Comment

The photo is titled "Group of Federal soldiers in Confederate fort on heights of Centreville with Quaker guns" and is believed to have been taken in March 1862. It can be found on the LOC website - LC-B811- 334A.

Here's another one these same fellows, with Lorenz. This is from an image, same series, titled "Centreville, Va. Fort on the heights, with Quaker guns" - LC-B811- 334.

Doug - I do believe you're right and that they are members of the 95th Penn. "Gosline's Zouaves." I'm pretty sure I can make out "95" and "F" on this fellows cap.

Eric
      Attached Files
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
        The photo is titled "Group of Federal soldiers in Confederate fort on heights of Centreville with Quaker guns" and is believed to have been taken in March 1862. It can be found on the LOC website - LC-B811- 334A.

Here's another one these same fellows, with Lorenz. This is from an image, same series, titled "Centreville, Va. Fort on the heights, with Quaker guns" - LC-B811- 334.

Doug - I do believe you're right and that they are members of the 95th Penn. "Gosline's Zouaves." I'm pretty sure I can make out "95" and "F" on this fellows cap.

Eric
        What a fabulous photo. The 95th did get dark blue trousers and gaiters with the jackets and these guys appear to still have them. They replaced the Lorenz rifles with 1861 Springfields in April 1862. In March they were camped in this vicinity before departing for the Peninsula with the AoP. This soldier also has the dark gray shirt with buttons, but none of them appear to have the distinctive hepi issued 6 months prior - perhaps they wore out or this company did not get them.

But best of all - note the rope tie arrangement on the blanket roll inside the ground cloth. Many of us have done this over the years. Now we have some documentation. Also, is that some kind of round mess tin or a canteen?
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

The seated guy definately has a Lorenz too. Note the snail like projection behind the bolster/nipple, similar to an Enfield.

Comment

Two dug Austrian Lorenz socket bayonet scabbard tips were eBay listing #160137830301. It might not yet be erased though the auction closed a few weeks ago. For your reference......

Dean Nelson
            1st MD Infantry, CSA, N-SSA

Comment

In the large photo, I noticed that at least two of the soldiers had their rifles slung muzzle down. In one case, it looks like the soldier has the sling over his opposite shoulder.
              Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Attached you will find pics of the iron tips Bill reffered to.

Ebay Listing #160137830301.
                Attached Files
                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                (Loblolly Mess)
                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Speaking of makers of yore, during the Lorenz craze of 1998-1999, Tom Czechanski* made a small number of scabbards for Lorenz bayonets. IIRC, they were of the US pattern. A few of those may still be out there in reenactorland.

*Yes, I too have to look in the 3MHB to spell check Tom's last name every time.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

For a look at a potentially CS frog for a Lorenz scabbard, check out this one on my web site. Not an add for the item, just a way to show some pics of the subject.

http://www.collegehillarsenal.com/sh...cat=268&page=2

The frog has been examined by a number of true experts in the field and they all agree that it is period and totally correct in construction, tannage, etc, but none can say that there is any particular feature that makes them say it is surely of CS origin. By the same token, none said there was any feature that made them sure it was not......

By the way, I know that Don Smith makes a very good US pattern Lorenz scabbard (he copied one in my collection), as does David Jarnagin. For all of trash that is talked about the products from C&D Jarnagin on the various forums, David makes truly exceptional handmade leather items and is truly an expert in the field and probably the most knowledgeable material culture researcher regarding period tannage. His personal collection of original CW era accouterments is stunning and rivals any major museum collection.

Enjoy the pictures.
                    Last edited by Tim Prince; 09-06-2007, 06:47 PM.
                    [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                    [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                    Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                    Member The Company of Military Historians
                    Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                    Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                    [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

• Re: Austrian Lorenz Repop

I see Loyalist Arms now offers its much commented upon reproduction Lorenz in rifled .54 caliber. A reproduction cruciform bayonet is also offered.

Does this development refresh interest in this product, or appreciably affect discussion of its authenticity?

Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
                      1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers as presented by the Nashville Female Academy.
                      Last edited by James A. Page; 04-16-2009, 02:26 PM.
                      Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
                      1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Comment

Originally posted by James A. Page View Post
                        Does this development refresh interest in this product, or appreciably affect discussion of its authenticity?
                        Nope! And again, with feeling: Nope!!

The improvements on the inside of the barrel, while admirable, still don't address all the deficiencies with the visible portions of the piece. My opinion.

Thanks for the update, though! I was not aware of the new option. Perhaps there is yet hope that they might make further improvements (??).
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

"Does this development refresh interest in this product,..."

In brief and to over-generalize...

IMHO...

Refresh? No.
                          There was, and remains, interest from certain individuals and in certain quarters for an authentic "Lorenz" reproduction.
                          However, those numbers wouild appear to be too small to interest the Italians (etc.) in believing that the start-up cost investments and production costs could/would be recouped and a sustainable profit mantained.

"... or appreciably affect discussion of its authenticity?"

Short answer, no.

While a partisan subject with supporters and detractors, it is the general point-of-view and standard of the AC Forum that these Indian "non-guns" have unresolved authenticity and safety issues to the point of their being discouraged from authentic-use discussion and sale here.

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The rifled option has been available for a while. The work is done by a gunsmith in Little Rock. I believe, IIRC, he uses a steel sleeve in a pre-existing barrel.
                            Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Having owned S/N 2 that had been reworked by IMO the premier mind of the Lorenz today I have serious reservations about anything Loyalist Arms touches. I made the mistake after having just received S/N 2 of going to the Heritage Arms show in Eagen MN where I had the opportunity to handle two oroginals, one priced for $750... the S/N 2 didn't even have the advantage of looking like an original Lorenz upon close inspection. The workmanship/fit n finish was poor in comparison to an original and I won't even go into the safety issues involved w/, for all practical purposes, using electrical conduit as a barrel.

Now all of that said, the loyalist product does have some advantages... it's all that is out there. It's balance is almost spot on to the original I handled. But that said, for anything except a museum representation I wouldn't trust the critter.
                              Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                              SUVCW Camp 48
                              American Legion Post 352
                              [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

According to everything I have read, the best solution for a decent Lorenz in shooting condition is to build yourself one out of disassociated parts. It would not cost that much more than the rifled version of the India-made repro, if those figures are correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X